Website The Whale Camp
A marine science camp in a unique learning environment
Assistant Director / Logistics Coordinator:
The Whale Camp at the Fundy Marine Science Institute is dedicated to providing marine biology experiential educational programs and facilities for learning about the dynamic marine ecology of the Bay of Fundy as well as the coastal, terrestrial and human ecologies of Grand Manan Island. Our goal is to use hands-on, discovery-oriented marine science activities to increase awareness and understanding of these living systems and by extension the living systems of our oceans and planet.
We are seeking a highly qualified individual to manage the logistics and scheduling of campers and staff at our residential science, nature, adventure camp. Our program includes whale watching trips, kayaking, and general observation of whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals, puffins, eagles, and a wide variety of seabirds. Our activities and lessons focus largely on the intertidal zones and the dynamic ecosystem of the Bay of Fundy. We also offer a college credit program to students wishing to deepen their knowledge and skills in marine science.
Requirements: Much of your time will be spent working in the office. Must have strong leadership and organizational background, computer skills, enthusiasm for working with youth and adults in an outdoor setting, ability to motivate others, demonstrated ability to facilitate group dynamics and manage staff in an outdoor camp environment. Must be flexible, willing to work long hours, creative, patient, have a positive attitude, and sense of humor. CPR/ First Aid. Canadian citizens will be required to be licensed to drive a 15 passenger van. Room and board provided as well as a few whale watching trips, puffin trips and kayaking excursions. Salary based on experience.
Overseeing and coordinating the smooth flow of day and evening programming including but not limited to:
- Arrange schedule for all daily and evening programs for student and adult programs
- Coordinate trips and programs with Island Contractors
- Confirm all programs the morning that they occur along with PD
- Arrange day off and duty schedule for all staff
- Coordinate all programs with kitchen staff
- Coordinate teaching group lists, medical lists, housing lists and transportation lists
- Prepare travel and transportation days when needed
- Participate in travel and transportation days as needed
- Facilitate group initiatives and team building exercises
- Assist with planning and facilitating orientation activities at Swallowtail Lighthouse.
- Facilitate all staff meetings assisting Program Director
- Communicate with parents regarding invoices, missing forms and other logistics
- Organize, maintain and update all camper forms for student and adult program
- Provide first aid as needed for injuries
- Be a positive role model and mentor for staff and campers
- Maintain personal first aid kit
- Assist with general camp maintenance
- Assist teaching with day and evening programming as needed
- Work in the office each day answering phones and doing whatever is needed
- Oversee camper bank for each session
- Order more supplies for the store as needed
- Maintain and display a positive and encouraging attitude at all times
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and submit the online application form found at:
Closing date: April 5th (but we recommend applicants apply as soon as possible as we are beginning the interview process prior to the closing date)
Whale Camp offers accommodation for the summer and meals while working, along with a very fair salary compared to other summer camps. Grand Manan island is a beautiful environment that offers some great scenery and hikes to enjoy on days off. The Assistant Director will have the opportunity to go on occasional whale watches, puffin trips, and sea kayaking as part of the job. In exchange, we are looking for team players with positive attitudes to lead our campers and contribute to an inclusive and engaging camp environment.