Website The Nature Conservancy of Canada
A highly-organized individual is required to assist in the compilation, analysis and display of spatial data to assist the Nature Conservancy of Canada’s (NCC) Ontario programs. Reporting to the Director of Science and Stewardship and working with the Coordinator, GIS & Conservation Data, this individual will use Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and other software to produce multi-scale maps, create databases, compile and align datasets, generate metadata, and analyze and present data in support of NCC’s administrative, conservation planning, securement, stewardship and development projects.
- Generate maps and analyses associated with Natural Area Conservation Plans, Property Management Plans, Communications and other planning activities as required;
- Perform specific GIS tasks and data management related to updating GIS files, data and NCC’s Land Information System;
- Assist in the creation, interpretation, documentation, and use of GIS datasets;
- Assist in acquiring, compiling, aligning, and verifying internal and third party datasets;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Science and Stewardship or Coordinator, GIS.
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Must be a college graduate with a diploma or post-diploma certificate in geographic information systems (GIS) or a university graduate in biology, ecology, or geography with significant course work in GIS;
- At least one year of experience with ESRI GIS software (ArcGIS), as well as various database, spreadsheet and graphics software;
- Ability to create, update, manipulate, analyze, and document spatial and non-spatial data;
- Familiarity with natural resource data;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently (with attention to detail), seek assistance and input as required, and to work on interdisciplinary teams;
- Must have the ability to solve problems using the available resources;
- Use creativity in acquiring and analyzing spatial data and producing output products such as maps, graphs and statistical tables that quantify NCC’s progress over time;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Experience with GPS units and mobile GIS software an asset;
- Field experience and primary data collection an asset;
- Strong interest in environmental field.
This is a ~12 month contract covering a parental leave.
If you have a keen interest in nature and conservation and are interested in joining our team, please forward your resumé and cover letter to the Nature Conservancy of Canada, via e-mail, to email@example.com. To be considered for this position, please ensure your:
– email subject line is “Assistant, GIS (Acting)”
– cover letter is a maximum of one page long
– cover letter and resumé are saved together in one pdf file
– pdf file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. “Jane Smith.pdf”)
Application Deadline: January 27th, 2019 (11:59 p.m. EST).
Late applications will not be considered.
At the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) we strive to promote diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
NCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.