Website The Whale Camp
A marine science camp in a unique learning environment
Camp Counselor – Outdoor Recreation and Dormitory
The Whale Camp at the Fundy Marine Science Institute is dedicated to providing marine biology experiential educational programs and facilities for learning about the dynamic marine ecology of the Bay of Fundy as well as the coastal, terrestrial and human ecologies of Grand Manan Island. Our goal is to use hands-on, discovery-oriented marine science activities to increase awareness and understanding of these living systems and by extension the living systems of our oceans and planet.
We are seeking a few well-qualified camp counselors with experience who will be responsible for co-planning and facilitating afternoon and evening programming on a wide variety of topics including sports, arts and crafts, initiative games, team building, campfires, and environmental science. Evening program is designed to foster self-esteem and group dynamics. Must have strong team building, group facilitation, and conflict resolution skills. In addition, job includes living with and supervising campers in a dorm and managing all aspects of dorm life. Camp counselors will have free time during much of the daytime to explore the island while the campers are in the field.
Requirements: We are seeking a male activity leader and dorm counselor for our boys dormitory. Outdoor recreation background, strong leadership and organizational experience; ability to motivate others; willingness and ability to foster self-esteem, cooperation, and responsibility in campers; desire to live with and spend time with campers; creativity; patience; positive and innovative attitude; strong work ethic; flexibility; sense of humor; CPR/ First Aid; may require additional license to drive a 15 passenger van. Environmental or marine science teaching background a plus. A few whale watching trips, puffin trips and kayaking excursions are provided. Salary based on experience.
- Collaborating with other staff, especially the other outdoor recreation and dormitory leader, to create a fun, supportive, and inclusive camp environment
- Manage all aspects of dorm life: unpacking/ packing, conflict resolution, homesickness, bedtime, communications w/ parents.
- Keep dorms clean, well organized and safe
- Live in dorm to manage camper behavior.
- Administer medications to the campers in your dorm that need it at breakfast, dinner and before bedtime. Record this information in the First Aid log book
- Plan and facilitate evening programs: group sports, team building games, new games, art activities, night hikes, environmental debates, campfires
- Plan and facilitate group initiatives and team building exercises
- Structure the time and activities with campers to keep campers safe and productive
- Be a positive role model and mentor for campers
- Communicate with parents as requested by Directors
- Communicate effectively with other staff members on a daily basis
- Keep art supplies organized and filled
- Maintain personal first aid kit. Provide first aid as needed for injuries
- Dispense camper money accurately from the bank when necessary
- Pick up and drop off mail as needed
- Help with general camp maintenance
- Participate in travel and transportation days of students as needed
- Supervise big clean days and packing days
- Responsible for set up and break down of science center as assigned
- Complete one summer project to enhance the program. Directors must approve this project.
- Update the evening program notebook / curriculum along with the other ORD counselor.
- Maintain and display a positive and encouraging attitude at all times
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and submit an online application at:
Closing date: March 16th
Whale Camp offers accommodation for the summer and meals while working, along with a very fair salary compared to other summer camps. Grand Manan island is a beautiful environment that offers some great scenery and hikes to enjoy on days off. Outdoor recreation and dormitory counselors have the opportunity to go on some whale watches, puffin trips, and sea kayaking as part of the job. In exchange, we are looking for team players with positive attitudes to lead our campers and contribute to an inclusive and engaging camp environment.