Reports to: Development Manager
Compensation: 35 hours per week at $17.00 to $19.00 per hour (dependant on experience)
Period: April 29, 2019 to August 30, 2019
The Kawartha Land Trust (KLT) is a dynamic land conservation charity with an impressive track record of growth. Our mission is caring for lands entrusted to us and helping others protect the land they love in the Kawarthas. We do this by accepting donations of ecologically-significant lands and/or interest in lands and by engaging the community in support of this work through gifts of time and money to ensure those lands are cared for, in perpetuity. To date we permanently protect over 4,100 acres of land in the Kawarthas. Our successes have been achieved through the work of our dedicated and growing volunteers and donors. Continuing to build community ‘buy in’ to our conservation vision is important to grow our impact. Volunteer events, guided walks, workshops and one-on-one visits with landowners are ways that we will continue to ensure that the community understands and is engaged in the process of permanently protecting our landscape.
For more information on the Kawartha Land Trust and to consider further if you may be a fit for this opportunity, see KLT’s website, online/media or social media presence.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Kawartha Land Trust Development Manager, the Community Engagement & Marketing Assistant will support communications and outreach efforts directed at promoting KLT and its protected and prospective properties. This will include working in a team environment to provide support for external communications. The Community Engagement & Marketing Assistant must be able to communicate in an articulate manner both verbally and in writing.
Under the direction of the Development Manager, the position will assist in the following:
- Assist with developing, designing and writing content for marketing and promotional material including: posters, e-newsletters, signage, presentations and online media
- Assist with managing and enhancing KLT’s presence on social media (i.e. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram etc.)
- Assist with events: planning, promoting, set-up/take-down, coordinating and scheduling volunteers
- Assist with building partnerships and relationships to share our properties and our mission with new audiences (Individuals and other organizations)
- Represent KLT at internal and external events
- Assists in the ongoing maintenance of KLT’s website
- Conduct research and prepare reports
- Actively participate on staff committees as necessary and appropriate
- Assist with development activities and donor stewardship
- Assist with managing information in KLT’s contact management database
- Other duties as directed and required
Desired Level of Education of the Student
- Students working towards or individuals possessing a degree or diploma in Marketing, Graphic Design, Communications, Event Planning or a related discipline.
- Must fit the following criteria: Between the ages of 15-30 and legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have a valid G2 license and access to a personal vehicle (mileage will be compensated)
- Must be prepared to work some evening and weekends
All KLT staff are committed to ensuring that the student has a meaningful working experience. The Development Coordinator will meet with the student to ensure that the student understands his/her roles and responsibilities; after which regular meetings will be scheduled. Day to day supervision will be provided by the Development Manager. The student will be provided with the opportunity to job shadow with members of senior KLT staff. Opportunities for formal training may include attendance at workshops, database training, and other training opportunities. The student will participate in activities that will enable the student to grow and gain skills and qualifications that will be meaningful in future employment endeavours.
Health and Safety
KLT is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for the student. KLT staff will ensure that the student has the necessary certifications and qualifications to do the job. The student will receive orientation from KLT staff on all relevant health and safety rules, and procedures.
- Your application should include a resume and a covering letter, as one document, which specifically addresses how your skills and qualifications relate to the job tasks and responsibilities. Please include in your cover letter a concise summary of why you think the work of Kawartha Land Trust is important, what inspires you and what you hope to learn in the position.
- Send application as a PDF or Word document with the following file name format: Last Name, First Name_ Community Engagement and Marketing Assistant).
- Email your cover letter and resume in one document to Kawartha Land Trust at email@example.com by 12:00 NOON March 18 2019, with the subject line “Community Engagement & Marketing Assistant”.
The Kawartha Land Trust welcomes your interest in this opportunity to make an impact on one of Canada’s most outstanding landscapes and engage with a committed community of supporters.
KLT values diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations for applicants with disabilities are available upon request for all aspects of the recruitment process. Please note however, that at this time, KLT offices are not wheelchair accessible.
Thank you for your interest in the Kawartha Land Trust. Although we appreciate all applicants taking the time to express their interest in joining the Kawartha Land Trust team, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.