This is a staff contract position for the period outlined with the possibility of extension and
expansion into other job duties by mutual agreement. Primary job duties will be coordination of
the 2019 BC Commuter Challenge until the end of June with the possibility of extending contract
to work on other BEST programs such as The Bicycle Valet. The position is a primarily an
independent role with tools, instructions and supervision in place to help you succeed with the
program. However, BEST fosters a collaborative work environment and you will have the full
support of the team!
Commuter Challenge Job Description:
● Organize the Commuter Challenge and all supporting activities including corporate
recruitment, organizing events, and the Commuter Challenge Wrap-up Party.
● Work with other community agencies, municipal representatives, national Commuter
Challenge coordinators, and any agencies supporting provincial recruitment efforts
● Develop and implement a marketing and promotion plan for the Commuter Challenge,
including preparation, coordination and distribution of marketing materials.
● Recruit additional workplaces to participate in the Commuter Challenge
● Update website as needed (Blog stories, posters, video and other media)
● Ensure social media channels are updated and engaged with relevant followers
● Obtain in-kind sponsorship from multiple organizations
● Create a prize structure for participants that fairly represents participants via geography
and company size
● Maintain records of sponsors/ funders as well as participants (corporate and individual).
● Keep up ongoing communications with participants before, during and after CC
● Keep up to date with current transportation issues.
● Write final reports suitable for funders and sponsors.
● Write and update an internal final report including project guide describing in detail how
future coordinators can best run the project.
● Maintain contact with funders and sponsors and ensure their satisfaction with the project
(under direction from General Manager).
● Other activities as defined by General Manager.
Qualification, experience and skills
● Some post secondary education or program coordination is a strong asset
● Experience in the non profit sector an asset
● Strong understanding of sustainable transportation
● Geographical knowledge of British Columbia
● Willingness to learn and adapt
● Ability to collaborate internally, and with other organizations a must
● Time management and organization essential
● Creative, upbeat and committed
● Able to follow direct instructions
● Results driven
● Graphic design an asset
● Effective communicator
● Self motivated and directed
What to expect
● A very independent role
● Managing staff on hand to answer any questions.
● Clear program objectives and goals
● Flexible schedule that’s self managed
● Stressful and busy periods during peak season
● An opportunity to start and finish a campaign with your name on it
● Lend a hand with other programs coordinated by BEST when asked
● Receive help when needed
● Networking and career building role
● Inclusive, friendly work environment
● To work with a well respected and established organization