Website Sierra Club of BC
Organization Overview: Sierra Club BC’s mission is to protect, conserve, and educate the public about, B.C.’s wilderness, species and ecosystems – within the urgent context of climate change impacts. www.sierraclub.bc.ca
Position Summary: The goal of Sierra Club BC’s Education Program is to develop a population that is aware of, concerned about, and connected with the environment.
We are currently seeking an energetic and creative Environmental Educator to join our Education Team on a short-term contract from March 2017 until June 2017. The goal of this position is to deliver our schools-based environmental education programs to classes throughout the Surrey School District. The contract will consist of approximately ten days (75 hours) of workshop delivery between early April and the end of the school year, plus training sessions in Victoria and two days of job shadowing in Surrey and Delta at the end of March. Depending on funding, it is possible that this position will continue in September 2017.
· Deliver interpretive school programs in classrooms and schoolyards throughout Surrey.
· Coordinate with Surrey School District staff to schedule workshops and communicate with teachers.
· Prepare program materials and carry out general logistics for program delivery.
· Assist Education Program Manager in project administration, reporting, and evaluation.
· A minimum of 2 years demonstrated experience Environmental Education.
· Relevant degree/diploma (environmental science, natural sciences, anthropology, education, or other related fields).
· Able to independently lead group presentations and activities, with extensive experience working with children.
· Comprehensive knowledge of BC’s ecosystems, traditional ecological knowledge, sustainability initiatives, and environmental education approaches.
· Strong knowledge of plant identification.
· Demonstrable experience teaching/communicating climate science to groups of people.
· Strong knowledge of provincial school curriculum and working in a classroom environment; BC knowledge is preferred.
· Must be extremely well organized, able to prioritize tasks, flexible to changing work schedules, and meet deadlines.
· Excellent English language written and verbal communications skills, and phenomenal people skills.
· Creative, self-confident, highly motivated, with great leadership and problem-solving skills.
· Based in Surrey or Greater Vancouver area.
· Class 5 Driver’s license an asset.
· Fluency in French and Wilderness First Aid (minimum 40 hours) an asset.
Contract Duration: March 2017-June 2017 (approximately 100 hours of work)
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and resume with three references with your name and the words “Application for Environmental Educator Position” in the Subject Line to Education Program Manager at email@example.com. Documents may be sent in either Microsoft Word or PDF format.
· Deadline for Applications: February 26th, 2017, 5PM PST
We thank everyone for your interest, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
· **No phone calls please**
· Visit our websites: www.sierraclub.bc.ca and www.sierraclub.bc.ca/education