Website Lesser Slave Forest Education Society
- The Lesser Slave Forest Education Society is presently recruiting for a new Executive Director to take over full time in July 2019. There will be a transition period of 4-6 months alongside the current Executive Director depending on the experience and availability of the successful candidate. Please check out the links below for more information. Questions can be directed to email@example.com
Position Title: Executive Director, Lesser Slave Forest Education Society Society
Location: Slave Lake, Alberta
Job type: Contract Position
Deadline: Open until a suitable candidate is found
The Lesser Slave Forest Education Society (LSFES) is a non-profit registered charity and has been in operation since March of 2000. The LSFES is committed to forest education and increased public awareness of forestry in the Lesser Slave Lake region. The society provides curriculum related program s through interactive field trips and classroom presentations. They deliver special event programming to summer camps, community organizations and other special groups. The society hosts workshops for educators to help enhance their environmental curriculum and offers post secondary scholarships to students interested in pursuing careers in forestry, natural resources or environmental science.
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Director of the Lesser Slave Forest Education Society (LSFES). This contract would be based on a multi-year agreement between the LSFES and the Executive Director. Annual work plans would be approved by the LSFES Board and would define the scope of the project, funding requirements and specific project deliverables each year. The Executive Director is responsible for the coordination and delivery of the forest education programming in the Lesser Slave Lake region. Much of the work will occur in the Lesser Slave Lake region and will benefit all the communities within that region. However, the LSFES has established itself as experts on forest education programming, and this job may require travel to other regions to showcase this expertise.
The executive Director job will include:
1- Coordinate and manage operation and program plans for the Society
2- Oversee the Society’s financial accounts, budgeting and funding opportunities
3- Delivery of curriculum based forest education programs to students and teachers with in the Lesser Slave Lake region
4- Delivery of forest education community engagement programs within the lesser Slave Lake Region
5- Collaborate with our education partner, the Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory Society
6- Collaboration with FireSmart and Fire Serve organizations
7- Coordinate and manage special forest education and community engagement projects such as logger sports, banquets, career fairs, summer camps, forestry week school tours, etc.
Bachelor of Science or Diploma in Forestry, Environmental Science, Natural Resources or related field is desirable. Depending on experience a Bachelor of Education or Environmental Education would also be considered.
One-year contract with possibility of a multi-year extension. Wages to be negotiated based on experience.
Knowledge and skills required:
• Independent worker who also can work effectively in a team environment.
• Strong Project management skills
• Understanding of Boreal Forest Ecology and the role of wildfires.
• Strong communication skills with all ages and technical abilities
• Experience with delivery of environmental education programs or working with people in a learning environment.
• Excellent public speaking skills
• Strong classroom management skills both in the classroom and the field
• Ability to multitask, manage and complete multiple projects within timelines provided
• Good at prioritizing and managing workloads from various organizations
• Ability to work with and report to an advisory board or committee
• Strong public relation skills to encourage community engagement for groups and individuals
• Enjoys traveling in their job
• Previous experience in applying and receiving grants with various funding organizations
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please visit www.lsfes.org (http://ww.lsfes.org)