A key member of the dynamic and independent Field Services team, the Field Services Specialist will provide support to the Recycle BC program to ensure the operational policies and practices established by Recycle BC are clearly communicated, understood and followed in the field, resulting in greater overall efficiency and effectiveness and leading to increased collection and diversion. This role reports to the Manager, Collection Quality and Development.
As a field services position, this role requires travel within Metro Vancouver and the Sunshine Coast primarily, with occasional overnight travel to other areas of the province to conduct site inspections and meet with collection and processing partners. The Recycle BC office is located in North Vancouver, though being a field based position, the successful applicant would be expected to work from a home-based office while not on the road. This position is best suited to applicants based out of the Metro Vancouver area, who will find the travel requirements less demanding and be able to do the majority of travel as day-trips from a home-based office.
This is primarily an independent role which requires the ability to prioritize and coordinate on a continuous basis.
- Oversee a reverse supply chain in the field to ensure sufficient capacity to collect and process materials in order to meet Program Plan targets.
- Employ standards, scorecards and codes of conduct for contracted collectors and oversee their implementation.
- Manage and build relationships with supply chain service providers and provide in-field training for collectors on established policies and practices.
- Work with other field services specialists, third party auditors, and other temporary field staff as needed for the oversight of collection and post-collection material flow in the field.
- Gather and analyze in-field best practices and make recommendations on how these best practices can be incorporated into the Recycle BC program.
- Promote and facilitate the implementation of the Recycle BC Program Plan and the collector agreements for consistent and compliant supply chain management by all Recycle BC collectors.
- Provide value-added summaries on an ongoing and as-needed basis.
- Work closely with the Manager, Collection Quality and Development prior to initiating or executing changes that impact the collection and post-collection network and related commercial arrangements to ensure that the terms and conditions for change in the collector agreements are followed. Follow dispute resolution protocols should changes or other issues require escalated management.
- Collaborate with other team members to gather information, conduct research and analysis, to test ideas and conclusions, and in the development of plans and strategies necessary to achieve the objectives of the program.
- Participate in Recycle BC supply chain cost analyses and cost studies.
- Conduct public outreach on an occasional basis to ensure understanding of the Recycle BC program.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Post-secondary education related to environmental studies, sustainability, supply chain, operations, engineering, related disciplines is beneficial but not necessary.
- 5 years’ work experience in operational optimization, waste management, logistics contracting or related roles is beneficial but not necessary.
- Direct experience in paper and packaging recycling, stewardship, or related field is beneficial but not necessary.
- Ability to conduct detailed analysis and provide summaries and recommendations.
- Knowledge of waste management, materials management, commodity markets, and logistics or related operational business activities.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to work independently on a daily basis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to prepare clear and concise administrative and technical reports.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build strong relationships.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively create and implement project plans.
- Willingness to work flexible/extended working hours in order to meet deadlines during peak periods.
About Recycle BC:
Recycle BC is a not-for-profit organization responsible for residential packaging and paper recycling throughout British Columbia, servicing over 1.85 million households or over 98% of BC.
We ensure packaging and paper product is collected from households and recycling depots, sorted and recycled responsibly. Recycle BC provides recycling services either directly to communities or by working in partnership with collectors like local governments, First Nations, private companies, and other not-for-profit organizations. 169 communities participate in our recycling collection program and more are serviced by our recycling depots. Each year over 200,000 tonnes of material is collected from households and depots.
Our program is funded by businesses, like retailers, manufacturers and restaurants that supply packaging and paper product to BC residents, shifting costs away from homeowners. Recycle BC originally launched in 2014 as Multi-Material BC (MMBC). Visit our website to learn more! recyclebc.ca
Please send cover letter and resume demonstrating why you would be a great fit for this position to email@example.com by end-of-day Tuesday October 1st, 2019.
Please indicate clearly in the subject line what position you are applying for.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Recycle BC is an equal opportunity employer.
At Recycle BC we care about our business and our people. We want to work with a motivated, detail-driven team player who will build great relationships with our small dedicated team, our service partners and our stakeholders. Our values of innovation, trust, knowledge, service and respect should resonate with you.
We offer competitive salaries and an extensive benefits package that includes a Professional Development benefit, Personal Wellness Benefit, RRSP matching program, and medical/dental group benefit coverage. Travel expenses related to the Field Services Specialist position are reimbursed at competitive rates.