Website Animal Care Solutions
Providing Exceptional Animal Care to an Exceptional Organization
This position offers the right candidate an amazing opportunity to be part of a world-renowned zoo actively working in wildlife conservation. We are currently looking for a part-time/casual Registered Veterinary Technologist and for the right candidate this opportunity could have a chance to offset the part-time hours with full-time as a zookeeper.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
The RVT will work alongside the veterinarians and other animal care staff to provide the highest quality of medical care for the diverse collection of non-domestic, rare and endangered species. Primary Responsibilities include:
· Positive and collegial team member with the ability to use discretion in professional matters
· Prepare medical equipment, supplies, record keeping and support material for field medical procedures
· Under the supervision of the veterinarian, administer anesthetic agents, carry out induction and intubation of the patient, monitor anesthesia and provide post-operation support for the patient.
· Collect, transport, prepare, analysis, and disposal of a variety of biological specimens
· Produce diagnostic quality radiographs
· Prepare and administer prescribed treatments and vaccinations, insert catheters and monitor fluid administration, calculate dosages and dispense prescribed pharmaceuticals accurately
· Maintain drug and medical supply inventory; stock and maintain field kits
· Prepare the surgical suite, equipment and the patient for surgical procedures and examinations, and assist veterinarians in surgery
· Sanitize and service medical equipment, including scheduling and tracking routine maintenance
· Cleaning and upkeep of the hospital, storage, and necropsy spaces
· Maintains timely and accurate medical records in ZIMS and other record systems
· Administrative duties including; data entry, interdepartmental communications and schedule coordination, placing and receiving orders, filing, and sample banking
· Knowledge of zoo’s layout and animal collection to respond quickly during animal emergencies.
· Knowledge of safety protocols, safety concerns, and reporting protocols
· Observe safety policies and procedure.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Registered Animal Health Technologist (Ability to Register in Alberta)
· Proven ability to work as part of a highly skilled and diverse team
· Strong independent work ethic
· Minimum of 2 years practicing as an Animal Health Technologist
· Preference given to specific zoo internship experiences or experience with exotics
Success in this position requires well developed analytical, problem solving, organizational and communication skills. As well as the ability to work independently, and part of a team.