R.J. Burnside & Associates Limited (Burnside) has an opening for an Intermediate/Senior Terrestrial Ecologist with at least 10 years of land development experience to join our Environmental Planning & Assessment (EPA) Team. The majority of experience should be in the Canadian environmental consulting environment.
This position will work out of our Barrie Office; however, there may be the possibility to work out of the Mississauga, Collingwood or Pickering offices, as dictated by project demands.
The EPA Team consists of environmental assessment specialists, environmental planners, environmental engineers and biologists who contribute to a broad range of experience in providing solutions to project challenges. The team assists clients on projects from concept to completion; providing domestic and international services to a variety of clients including municipalities, private sector, indigenous communities, government agencies and non-governmental organizations involved in land development, gold and tourism, agriculture, industry, oil and gas, energy generation, transportation and mining.
This is a fantastic opportunity to further develop in a career in environmental sciences by joining a dynamic team that takes on challenging projects and provides excellent rewards and benefits in return.
As an Intermediate/Senior Terrestrial Ecologist, your role will have many facets and you will primarily be responsible for the following:
- Management and support for various land development projects
- Facilitate government agency review and response regarding permitting and project particulars with MOE, MNR, and Conservation Authorities
- Mentoring and further development of junior and intermediate professionals
- Leading and carrying out species inventories, habitat assessments, species at risk screenings, construction monitoring programs, wildlife rescue/relocation operations
- Participate in broad based assessment of terrestrial resources that may include vegetation, birds and amphibian components in urban and rural locations
- Conduct habitat evaluations and undertake restoration / mitigation plans
- Collect, analyze and manage environmental data and preparation of technical reports
- Manage and coordinate environmental monitoring and permitting activities for development projects
- Preparing and authoring field reports, project reports and proposals
- Conducting Environmental Assessments (EA), Environmental Impact Statements (EIS), Environmental
- Implementation Reports (EIRs) in support of land development applications, natural heritage studies and permitting advisory services for our public sector, private sector and First Nation clients
- Business development and ability to foster long-term client relationships
- Preparation and tracking of project budgets and schedules
- Facilitating approvals from commenting agencies
- Liaison with Conservation Authorities, Ontario Ministries (MNRF, MTO, etc.) and Municipal Authorities and local regulatory personnel
Professional Knowledge & Qualifications
- A degree in biology, natural resource management, earth science, or another relevant area
- A sound understanding of the Ontario and Canadian Environmental Assessment Acts, Environmental Protection Act, and Planning Act
- Proven business and client development capabilities
- Ecological Land Classification (ELC) training and Ontario Wetland Evaluation System (OWES) training is an asset
- Breeding Bird Survey experience is an asset
- A minimum of 10 years of related experience in consulting
- High-level communication skills for dealing with both internal and external clients
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, 2010 or higher) with demonstrated interest and ability to learn new systems
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work well in a team setting
- An understanding of office dynamics and exceptional interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage time to complete multiple tasks
International and/or First Nations experience would be an asset; however not essential.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to work independently and in a team environment is a must
- Superior communication and organization skills
- Excellent documentation, proposal and report writing skills
- Project Management and supervisory experience
- Computer literacy: documents, spreadsheets
Founded in 1970, R.J. Burnside & Associates Limited is a progressive Canadian owned multi discipline engineering and environmental consultancy firm with over 345 staff and a proven track record of providing the highest service to clients in the Public, Private, International and Aboriginal sectors.
We have 11 offices across Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta and work on projects throughout Canada and the Caribbean.
Burnside’s traditional focus has been infrastructure engineering, including water supply, sewage treatment, surface water and resources and storm-water management, roads and bridges and agricultural drainage. We also provide services in the specialty areas of hydrogeology, environmental assessment and planning, monitoring and compliance, site assessments, remediation and cleanup, solid waste management, structures and building services, and transportation.
We take pride in our people and the company has a strong reputation as being a great place to work. We are always interested in speaking with talented people who wish to share their careers with us at any of our offices.
We offer excellent compensation and benefits, including RSP and Profit Sharing Plans, Fitness Benefits, Flexible Hours, Career Development Opportunities, Mentoring, Continuing Education, Social Activities and a working environment second to none.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and we welcome or consider resumes from all qualified candidates.
Burnside will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the entire recruitment, assessment and selection process, as required. If you are a person with a disability and require an accommodation during these processes, please contact our Human Resources department.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.