Website Falcon Environmental Services
Wildlife Management and Consulting
Falcon Environmental Services, Inc. (FALCON) is a leader in the field of effective wildlife management at civilian and military airports. With more than 25 years of experience, FALCON has compiled a team of unparalleled experts in wildlife management. FALCON is looking for reliable and dynamic individuals to join our wildlife management team at Toronto Pearson International Airport (TPIA).
The starting date: Interviews will be performed in October. Training and security screening will begin as of November 2019. More than one position is currently offered.
Schedule: We are in operation 7 days a week, 365 days a year, one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Candidates will be required to work shifts, holidays and weekends and must be willing to work on call. Shift lengths and the number of hours worked vary seasonally. We have full-time (year-round) and seasonal (April to October) positions.
Job description: As a Wildlife Control Officer (WCO), you will be using various tools and methods to mitigate the risks posed by wildlife hazards at TPIA. Your daily duties will contribute to keeping the runways safe for airport personnel and the public. As a member of a team, your tasks will include but may not be limited to the following:
- Learning and developing skills relative to wildlife abatement and dispersal methods, including but not limited to the discharge of pyrotechnics, the deployment of falconry birds, and trapping activities;
- Identifying wildlife and collecting data on species and abatement interventions;
- Handling, flying and husbandry of falconry birds;
- Maintaining company vehicles and other equipment in safe working order;
- Completing forms and daily activity reports, on computer and on tablet.
- You are able to work alone as well as part of a team. You are autonomous, trustworthy and able to make decisions; you show good judgment in high-stress situations.
- You are in good physical condition and enjoy working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Your past and present personal background enables you to pass an Enhanced Background Check by CSIS. You have a clean and clear criminal record (no drug or alcohol convictions).
- You have a valid driver’s licence and a clean driving record (documentation in support ofthis must be supplied by successful candidates), as well as a reliable vehicle to get to work.
- You communicate efficiently in English (spoken and written).
- You are familiar with computers and tablets.
- You have environmental or wildlife experience.
- You have wildlife technical certificate, a degree in biology, in environmental studies, or in a subject related to wildlife management.
- You have experience in species identification (birds, mammals, amphibians and reptiles).
- You have previous experience working with animals; successful candidates will be required to work and care for falconry birds (falcons and hawks).
- You have the following licences and certifications: A Firearms Possession and Acquisition certificate (PAL; will be mandatory) and/or Have completed the Ontario Hunter (and/or Trapper) Training course and are in possession of a valid small game licence (mandatory) and/or A Restricted Radio Telephone Licence; successful candidates will be required (at their own cost) to acquire this if not already licensed.
- You have prior hunting and trapping experience.
Falcon Environmental Services offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Interested candidates must send their resume, cover letter and the contact information for 3 references bySeptember 24th, 2019, at 5 pm.
Email your application to jobsatFES@falconenvironmental.com.
We will communicate only with selected candidates; these must provide a police background check, a valid driver’s licence, diploma(s) and a recent driving record at the time of the interview.