Contract type: Permanent part-time position. (3 to 4 days / week, to be determined based on candidate preference and profile)
Start date: As soon as possible
Location: In order of preference: Port Rowan, Ontario; Remotely from elsewhere in Ontario with the ability to travel to Port Rowan for 1-2 days/month as needed
Schedule: Work hours to match Eastern time zone.
Conditions: Annual Full-time Salary $55,400 – $67,600 (based on 5 days / week) Plus Benefits
Are you looking to channel your skills into meaningful, energizing work that will directly contribute to protecting our natural world? Birds Canada is the country’s only national organization dedicated to bird conservation. Every day, our thousands of caring donors, 60+ passionate staff, and 70,000+ outstanding volunteers are taking action to help us better understand, appreciate, and conserve birds and their habitats. Together, we are Canada’s voice for birds – will you join us?
The HR Manager plays a critical role in supporting our most valuable resource – our people. The HR Manager leads in the development and implementation of the organization’s HR policies and processes. A trusted and dependable team player, the HR Manager thrives in a dynamic environment with a mix of short-term imperatives and long-term initiatives. The ideal candidate is confident, trustworthy, and empathic. This position reports to the Vice-President, Finance and Administration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Monitor and improve employee satisfaction and wellbeing, ensuring a positive workplace culture. Develop and implement initiatives to recognize important employee milestones. Participate in the employee-driven Wellness Committee.
2. Ensure that staff are receiving timely and high-quality professional development and training opportunities. Develop an onboarding journey for new hires.
3. Ensure that compensation at Birds Canada remains competitive and equitable. Lead in the evaluation of position descriptions, seek out market comparables, and maintain a compensation framework.
4. Prioritize, develop and implement a suite of diverse HR policies (e.g. work-from-home, workplace harassment, time off, expense policy) to be reviewed at regular intervals.
5. Oversee the implementation and ongoing use of HR software to streamline HR Management at Birds Canada.
6. Provide recruiting assistance including candidate screening and assessment.
7. Ensure that the cycle of work planning and performance reviews is effective in helping our team members grow and remain focused on our strategic objectives.
8. Act as the key resource in handling sensitive staff grievances, performance issues, or personal matters impacting workplace wellbeing.
9. Oversee the implementation of our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy as it relates to the organisation’s staffing.
10. Maintain proper employee records including salary history, time off and sick days, professional development, performance reviews, etc.
11. Serve as backup to our Assistant Controller for payroll.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
1) Proven ability to manage multiple tasks, deadlines and changing priorities
2) Great judgement, with the ability to problem-solve, proactively anticipate problems and propose solutions, and work under minimal supervision
3) Prior experience using HR software (e.g. BambooHR, Freshteam) would be a significant asset
4) Empathic and caring, with the ability to confidentially and respectfully handle sensitive HR issues
5) Prior experience with the development of HR policies would be an asset
6) Knowledge and experience using virtual planning and meeting tools (e.g. Outlook calendar, online meeting platforms such as Zoom).
7) Proven experience with relevant workplace software suites (i.e. Office, Adobe, etc).
8) Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively in both official languages would be an asset.
9) Relevant education and experience. We’re not prescribing in what or how much – please be sure to indicate in your cover letter how your unique mix of education and experience have prepared you for this role.
English (French language skills are an asset.)
Please submit your CV and cover letter to Sean Lindsay firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2021. While we thank all who apply, only those applicants being considered for the position will be contacted.
Birds Canada is committed to improving levels of diversity among its volunteers, membership, staff, and board to reflect the diversity of Canada. In an effort to do so, we are actively tracking and seeking to improve our ability to reach all candidates with our job advertisements. Applicants belonging to racialized groups; who identify as Indigenous, LGBTQ+; or who have differing abilities are therefore invited to self-identify in their cover letter.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.