Are you looking to channel your skills into meaningful, energizing work that will directly contribute to protecting our natural world? Do you want to work with an exceptional group of passionate and caring colleagues?
Birds Canada is the country’s premier national non-profit organization dedicated to bird conservation. Every day, our thousands of caring donors, 80+ dedicated staff, and 70,000+ outstanding volunteers are taking action to help us better understand, appreciate, and conserve birds and their habitats. Together, we are Canada’s Voice for Birds – will you join us?
The Executive Assistant provides high-level support to the President & CEO, focused on ensuring the effective operation of the Birds Canada Board of Directors and its Committees. A trusted and dependable team player, the Executive Assistant thrives in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities and deadlines. The ideal candidate is confident, congenial, proactive, highly organized, and detail-oriented. This role is a unique opportunity to contribute directly to the advancement of the mission of a well-regarded, national non-profit organization.
This is a part time (20 hours/week) position that can be performed fully remotely from anywhere in Canada, however the incumbent’s work hours must partially overlap with the Eastern Time Zone in order to allow sufficient collaboration with the President & CEO, to whom this role reports. This is a one-year contract, with a strong possibility of renewal if desired. There is the possibility of a hybrid work schedule if desired at one of Birds Canada’s Physical offices (Port Rowan, ON; Delta, BC; Sackville, NB). Yearly travel to the annual in-person Board of Directors meeting, held in various locations across Canada, is required.
Birds Canada is proud to offer an exceptional Total Compensation Package, including a competitive starting salary and 5% RRSP matching after 12 months of service. In addition, staff enjoy a primarily employer-paid extended benefits package including health and dental coverage, Basic Group Life Insurance, Group out-of-province travel insurance, Vision, ADD&D and short- and long-term disability coverage. We offer all staff 4 weeks’ vacation per year to start along with 12 personal health days (both prorated based on number of hours worked per week) and additional paid vacation days between Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
STARTING SALARY: The starting salary range for this role is $46,154 – $49,321 annually (part time equivalent: $23,077 – $24,661 annually), commensurate with your previous experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and manage the annual Board and Committee meeting calendar, ensuring that Board and Committee Chairs are well prepared and supported ahead of meetings and that Directors are aware and reminded of meeting dates.
- Ensure timely preparation of Board and Committee packages, including drafting, editing, formatting, and timely delivery, while also proactively drafting meeting agendas based on approved priorities and CEO guidance.
- Track board decisions and action items, communicate relevant information to staff, and maintain organized storage and archiving of Board documents for easy reference.
- Manage all aspects of Board logistics, including ensuring convenient access to online materials, overseeing the meeting platform, taking minutes, and disseminating relevant information.
- Coordinate logistics for the annual in-person Board Meeting: handling venue bookings, making travel and accommodation arrangements, and processing expense claims.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- At least two years’ experience in an administrative/executive assistant-type role. Experience working directly with a CEO and/or a Board of Directors would be a definite asset.
- Experience and comfort with using and managing relevant software, such as videoconferencing platforms (e.g. Zoom, Teams), cloud storage, Office suite, Adobe.
- Very strong understanding and writing skills in English. In particular, ability to synthesize long, sometimes technical conversations and to extract key decisions and action items (for minutes and agendas).
- Ability to produce clear draft texts (e.g. email drafts), given direction on content and tone.
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to develop trust-based relationships with the President & CEO and Board of up to 16 people from all backgrounds and regions of Canada.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- This role does not require a specific educational background; however, the incumbent must demonstrate how their mix of education and experience have prepared them for this role.
- A college degree or equivalent in a relevant field would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the Canadian Not-for-Profit Corporations Act (CNCA) is an asset.
Please submit your resume along with a covering letter clearly outlining how your past work experience makes you the perfect candidate for this role via the Birds Canada Online Job Platform by February 21, 2024. Birds Canada will provide accommodation throughout the recruitment, selection, and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
Birds Canada is committed to improving levels of diversity among its volunteers, membership, staff, and board that reflects the diversity of communities across the country. In an effort to do so, we are actively seeking to improve our ability to reach all candidates with our job postings. Applicants belonging to racialized groups, who identify as Indigenous, 2SLGBTQIA+, or who have differing abilities are therefore welcome to self-identify in their cover letter, if they feel comfortable, although this is not a requirement.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit birdscanada.bamboohr.com.