Birds Canada is the country’s premier national organization dedicated to bird conservation. Every day, our thousands of caring donors, 80+ passionate staff, and 70,000+ outstanding volunteers are taking action to help us better understand, appreciate, and conserve birds and their habitats. Together, we are Canada’s voice for birds. Our national headquarters is located in Port Rowan, Ontario, connected to the historic Long Point Bird Observatory, with regional offices from coast to coast.
The Ontario Aerial Insectivore Team at Birds Canada is currently seeking an Ontario Chimney Swift Research Specialist to help compile literature, analyze data, and develop research questions, study designs, and protocols to model habitat selection in Chimney Swifts throughout the provincial breeding range.
This is a short-term 3-month contract position reporting to the Ontario Projects Biologist, with a possibility of extension to a more involved role based on funding availability, team fit, and performance. Anticipated start date in January 2024,
Salary: $19.93 – $22.19 per hour for approximately 40h work week, plus statutory benefits. We encourage all candidates with the required qualifications and skills to apply to the position. However, note that some preference may be given to those who meet Canada Summer Jobs eligibility criteria.
Location: This position is primarily remote, with a preference for candidates located in or within traveling distance to the Greater Toronto Area.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Ontario Chimney Swift Research Specialist will be responsible for developing a scientific protocol document including an extensive literature review and up-to-date analyses to outline a set of research questions and the appropriate methods required to model habitat selection in traditional (e.g., chimneys), natural (tree cavities), and/or artificial (e.g., towers) breeding habitat. The Research Specialist may also have the opportunity to support stewardship, outreach, and other research activities to advance the goals of the Ontario SwiftWatch program.
The position has potential for contract extension, depending on funding, which would expand the role to include activities such as assisting with surveying for Chimney Swift critical habitat throughout the provincial breeding range, implementing research activities related to the developed habitat selection protocol document, coordinating field teams and volunteers, and leading municipal engagement and outreach activities.
Although not required, most candidates will be in the process of or have already completed a M.Sc. in biology, ecology, or an equivalent wildlife-related program. Relevant experience or other informal and formal education/training are equally considered.
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated expertise in data management, statistical analyses, research question development, and field method design (i.e., developing and using habitat selection models, occupancy models, species distribution models, in a frequentist or Bayesian framework), preferably using R
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- High level of organization, initiative, and record keeping skills
- Experience writing and submitting scientific manuscripts for publication
- Ability to create mapping products using ArcGIS
- Demonstrated ability to lead field teams and/or coordinate volunteers
- Stewardship and outreach experience with a variety of stakeholders, particularly related to species at risk
- Passion for conservation, birds, and environmental initiatives
- Meet Canada Summer Jobs requirements
Other Conditions of Employment:
- Possess personal computer, stable internet connection, and needed office equipment or space to facilitate remote work on the assigned duties of the role (these are not provided/covered by employer)
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Possess a valid Ontario Class G driver’s license, with a clean driving record
Please click here to apply via our Job Application Portal, attaching your cover letter and resume (not exceeding 4 pages total). In your cover letter, please explicitly highlight relevant qualifications and skills.
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis, with intention to hire as soon as possible. While Birds Canada welcomes all applications, only those applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Birds Canada will provide accommodation throughout the recruitment, selection, and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
Birds Canada is committed to improving levels of diversity among its volunteers, membership, staff, and board that reflects the diversity of communities across the country. In an effort to do so, we are actively seeking to improve our ability to reach all candidates with our job postings. Applicants belonging to Indigenous, black and racialized groups, who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+, or who have differing abilities are therefore welcome to self-identify in their cover letter, if they feel comfortable, although this is not a requirement.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit birdscanada.bamboohr.com.