The Centre for Environmental Genomics Applications (CEGA) is a young, fast-paced, and quickly growing independent research centre that is focused on developing environmental DNA (eDNA) technologies to support new, world-leading environmental assessment and monitoring programs. We are dedicated to improving the environmental stewardship of our oceans and supporting the world’s ocean industries, including offshore energy, fisheries, and aquaculture. CEGA is located in St. John’s, NL, Canada.
CEGA is the first of its kind, a research facility dedicated to the application of genomics for environmental characterization and monitoring.
We are looking for an Ecological Analyst to join our team. The Ecology group focuses on the field collection of environmental genomics samples, data analysis and interpretation of genomics data, and science communication. The Ecological Analyst will work with the Senior Ecologist to provide support across all of these activities.
· Sample collection (may require work on evenings and weekends and overnight travel).
· Planning, procurement, and logistics for eDNA field sampling.
· Field equipment maintenance.
· Sample receiving and sample inventory maintenance.
· Draft and maintain SOPs under an ISO framework.
Data Analysis & Interpretation
· Data management and curation of large environmental genomics datasets.
· Statistical analysis and ecological interpretation of environmental genomics results.
· Literature review and data curation from publicly available databases to support R&D.
· Prepare reports, presentations, and publications for technical and non-technical audiences.
· Assist with planning annual scientific workshop.
Research & Development
· Assist with developing field, lab, and analytical methods (e.g., primer design, testing new sampling techniques, new statistical approaches) for clients/collaborators and R&D projects .
· Assist with designing field sampling plans for new projects.
· Stay current with published methods and present relevant advances to the group.
Skills & Qualifications:
· Knowledge of basic ecological concepts, community ecology and genomics methods demonstrated by an undergraduate degree in biology, marine biology, environmental sciences, or associated field AND 1-3 years of relevant work/research experience OR a graduate degree in biology, marine biology, environmental sciences, or associated field.
· Experience analyzing datasets and creating data visualizations using R statistical software.
· Fluent in the use of standard Microsoft Office software, including Excel and Word. Preference will be given to candidates with database management experience.
· Experience preparing reports and documents summarizing scientific results.
· Excellent attention to detail and ability to follow standard operating procedures in a DNA “clean room” environment.
· Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Organization and time management skills to balance working on multiple projects and meeting deadlines.
· Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to think on your feet.
· Valid Canadian driver’s license.
· Previous experience working with eDNA samples and/or data would be an asset.
· First Aid/Wilderness/Marine Certifications would be an asset.
What CEGA offers:
CEGA is driven by a passionate team revolutionizing the way we monitor our environment. This permanent, full-time position will give the opportunity join this dedicated team working on innovative and impactful projects with great opportunities for professional development. This position includes a competitive salary (based on experience), a comprehensive benefits package, paid vacation time, and RRSP matching.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
While CEGA would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.