Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), one of Canada’s leading conservation organizations, is seeking a confident, energetic, and innovative GIS Specialist to join our team and help advance our boreal geospatial program.
As a member of the Boreal Program team, the GIS Specialist will be responsible for managing and supporting GIS and RS project components, participating in partnership and stewardship activities, and providing the advanced technical and analytical services required to support DUC’s vision and goals.
Duties may include:
· Maintaining, designing, and implementing geospatial services, products, and projects in consultation with staff and partners to meet DUC’s and partner objectives.
· Leading and participating in project teams providing geospatial support, spatial analysis, modeling, decision support, and expertise.
· Developing, acquiring, managing, analyzing, and integrating geospatial data to support the program.
· Write programs and scripts (e.g. Python, R) as required
· Perform statistical analyses, geostatistical analyses, and spatial modeling to support DUC science/conservation planning objectives. Knowledge in Marxan and/or other decision-support tools is an asset.
· Create content both written and technical (e.g., maps and graphs) to support presentations, technical papers, or reports for various knowledge bases.
· Compile metadata and other documentation.
· Support remote sensing image processing tasks (e.g. calibration, classification, and accuracy assessment), archiving and distribution of remotely sensed data.
· Operate and maintain GIS system hardware, software, plotter, and other devices.
This position will have the flexibility to based out of Edmonton, Alberta or from a negotiable remote location.
· Technical diploma in GIS and/or a university degree in geography, natural resources, or related discipline and have a minimum of five years’ work experience using GIS software in a conservation-based setting.
· Solid understanding, experience, and working knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS suite of products (ArcMap, Pro, ArcGIS Online, and mobile apps).
· Proven knowledge of geographic (geo-processing) and cartographic principles (projections and datums).
· Advanced knowledge of GIS modeling approaches and procedures.
· Excellent cartographic skills in developing various communication delivery products.
· Experience with programming in Python, R, or other.
· Understanding of remote sensing principles and datasets (e.g. Landsat, Sentinel, etc.).
· Experience using image analysis software, such as SNAP, ERDAS or PCI.
· A valid driver’s license is required.
· Ability to travel to remote communities throughout Canada.
How to Apply
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you.
If you are qualified and interested in this amazing opportunity, please visit our online career center to submit your application for confidential consideration.
Closing Deadline: August 6, 2021 (EST)
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.