High Elevation Landbird Program Field Technicians
Birds Canada – Atlantic Region
Birds Canada – Atlantic Region is seeking 2-3 skilled field biologists to conduct surveys for Bicknell’s Thrush and other high elevation bird species beginning May 25, 2020 for 8 to 10 weeks in remote regions of northern New Brunswick and Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Field work will primarily consist of early morning and/or dusk point count surveys along pre-determined routes and may include mist-netting and telemetry tracking of Bicknell’s Thrush. The terrain is rugged and candidates should be in good physical condition, as some surveys will require several hours of hiking and overnight camping. Visit www.bsc-eoc.org/volunteer/achelp for more information on Birds Canada’s Bicknell’s Thrush research.
The following skills and experience are essential:
- Identify Bicknell’s Thrush as well as other high elevation bird species by sound
- Comfortable working long days (early morning and late nights)
- Comfortable living in a remote field camp with no cell phone/internet access
- Able to cope with staying at camp when regular surveys are not possible due to adverse weather
- Able to work and live with a team of 1-5 other people
- Able to work independently and with little supervision
- Navigation in remote areas with map, compass, GPS
- Camping and working outdoors in all weather conditions (cold, heat, rain, biting insects)
Additional asset skills:
- First Aid Certification (successful candidates must obtain first aid certification prior to start date)
- Tent-camping (especially in remote areas)
- Experience driving on rough gravel logging roads
- Experience changing tires and other basic automobile maintenance
Salary: $2,600 – $2,800 per month, based on experience. Food, accommodation (cabin and/or tent camping), and transport while in the field are provided.
Deadline for applications: Sunday, February 16, 2020
To apply, please send a brief cover letter, highlighting your field experience, as well as your resume and the names and contact information for two references to Laura Tranquilla at email@example.com Please send cover letter, resume, and references as a single file. Applications that fail to highlight relevant experience will not be considered further. We encourage all candidates with the required qualifications and skills to apply to the position(s). However, note that some preference may be given to those who meet Canada Summer Jobs’ eligibility criteria.
While Birds Canada thanks all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Birds Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.