Position: Park Technician and Security Guard (2 positions available)
Work Period: Seasonal Positions (April to October)
Location: Falls Reserve Conservation Area (Benmiller, Ontario)
Pay Range: $15.00 to $16.00 per hour
Shifts: 37.5 hour per week as scheduled
Falls Reserve Conservation Area is seeking strategically focused individuals with diverse range in both technical and security skills for the role of Park Technician and Security Guard for the campground operating season.
Falls Reserve Conservation Area, Benmiller, Ontario; a 230 acre property situated in the lower Maitland River valley and consisting of 181 campsites with both seasonal and transient overnight camping and day use amenities.
Reporting to the Conservation Area Superintendent(s), the Park Technician and Security Guard position will assist with the day-to-day operations and security of Falls Reserve Conservation Area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enforcement of policies and regulations within the Conservation Area by conducting regular patrols of the campgrounds and day use areas to monitor user compliance and ensure customer satisfaction and safety
- Enforce applicable policies and regulations on Authority property while working directly with provincial enforcement agencies
- Respond to questions and complaints while providing good customer service and ensure that appropriate action is taken
- Respond appropriately to emergency situations using de-escalation techniques and provide leadership with respect to the enforcement of Conservation Area policies and regulations
- Responsible for day-to-day maintenance operations of the Conservation Area including: cleaning washrooms to meet protocol, garbage and litter collection, campsite clean-up, mowing and trimming grass and other facility and grounds maintenance duties assigned
- Frequent sanitization of work areas and following Maitland Conservation’s COVID safe working policies
- Work to ensure a safe, clean, disinfected working environment including cleanliness of vehicles, equipment and all other workplace areas including public washrooms and park grounds
- Preform and lead park gate office operations including: managing and maintaining gate control at the Conservation Area entrance, issuing campsite and day use permits, collecting fees according to established procedures
- Be responsible for securing and closing buildings and facilities as required
- Lead and mentor seasonal staff members in day- to-day park operations, provide guidance and assign approved job tasks
- Ensure safe operation and daily inspection of Maitland Conservation owned and operated equipment
- Operate various hand tools and powered equipment
- Carry out all assigned duties in accordance with accepted safety practices
- Provide quality customer service
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of park facilities and activities
- Assist with any other Conservation Area operational duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Completion or working towards a post-secondary education in a field related to parks and recreation, security or enforcement
- Must possess a Private Security and Investigative Services Act Licence or in the process to obtain and provide prior to start date
- Must possess or be willing to obtain a current (less than 60 days) Police Records Check (a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check) and provide prior to start date
- Must possess a valid Ontario Driver’s License
- Valid Standard First Aid / CPR certification
- Must be available to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays. May require on-call support at times.
- Familiarity with Falls Reserve Conservation Area and park policies
- Excellent written and communication skills with ability to keep accurate records
- Ability to work outdoors in unfavorable weather conditions
- Ability and desire to assist and mentor other staff members when required
- Ability to frequently lift, carry, push or pull objects weighing more than 50 lbs
- Prior related work experience is an asset
- Adaptable person with experience in security and campground/park operations is an asset
- Prior experience leading or mentoring other staff members is an asset
- Experience with ability to effectively and safely apply basic maintenance skills on equipment and vehicles
- Basic maintenance skills in carpentry, plumbing and other related building service repairs
- Knowledgeable ability to apply basic grounds and janitorial maintenance skills
- Experience and demonstrated ability to safely operate tractors, mowers, trimmers and other powered maintenance equipment
- Experience and demonstrated ability to safely operate passenger vehicles, pick-up truck and side-by-side
- Chainsaw Safety Training / Operators Certificate is an asset (or the ability to obtain)
- The successful applicants will be provided a uniform consisting of 2 pairs of supplied navy work pants and t-shirt with Maitland Conservation logo as well as 2 tan security shirts
- A clean and complete uniform must be worn when engaged in the duties of the position
- Hi-Vis and PPE is provided and must be worn when engaged in specific duties
- All successful applicants must possess their own Green Patch CSA approved safety boots with ankle support. These boots must be worn at all times (black boot is preferred)
Send your resume and a cover letter (referencing this position title) by email to email@example.com . Please include Attention to: Jason Moir, Park Superintendent in the email subject line and in your cover letter. Please send your resume and cover letter in an MS Word document or PDF.
Application deadline: 4:00 pm March 1, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Maitland Conservation is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.