Position: Rocky Mountain Manager (Full-Time Fixed Term Contract)
Immediate Supervisor: Rocky Mountain Director
Location: Canmore, AB
Start date: February 2021
Employment Type: Full-Time Fixed Term Contract, 10 month contract term.
Outward Bound Canada is committed to helping Canadian youth change the trajectory of their lives. With young people desiring to thrive in an unpredictable and changing world, OBC, a registered charity, offers social-emotional education through experiential adventures in the outdoors. Since 1969, OBC has inspired over 150,000 participants, with a particular emphasis on providing greater access to those facing socioeconomic barriers, to discover their potential. These experiences develop resilience, social and emotional intelligence, and environmental leadership to contribute to a better, more compassionate, and resilient society. The impact of our work on young people in Canada is found in our recent case for support.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Outward Bound Canada has prioritized the health and wellbeing of our employees, participants and the wider community. As of August 2020, we resumed some of our programs and implemented new COVID-19 Field Procedures to prioritize the health and safety of staff and participants. We are looking forward to a renewed connection with youth in nature in 2021.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the development and implementation of the field operations at the Rocky Mountain Region in Canmore, AB. The program manager has a critical leadership role at the Rocky Mountain region, ensuring that every student has a high-quality experience and receives excellent teaching, coaching, and mentorship, leading to positive course outcomes and will oversee, with the Program Director, that continued growth of the program furthers the mission and values of OBC.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Coordinates the execution of the program plans with the Director to enhance and develop programming; developing initiatives, course mix, operations and logistics, and other projects assigned.
● Works with the Director in the hiring, training, evaluating, and mentoring of employees.
● Manages and supervises instructional employees, ensuring high-quality program delivery, educational outcomes are met, program and instructor evaluations are complete.
● Create a positive work environment where professional development and community are foundational
● Ensures courses and programs are run in accordance with risk management protocols, briefings and de-briefing with instructors and students, with a growth oriented lens, as to participation, expectations and safety requirements.
● Achieves the objectives of the OBC National Risk Management Policy.
● With the Director, this position creates and monitors unique programmatic designs, program content and implementation based on OBC course outcomes and student population.
● Supervise the evacuation systems and other field responses, manage field staff training for evacuations and act as the primary contact regarding course challenges, addressing and facilitating all incident reporting processes.
● Supervise and monitor logistics and maintain contractor relationships which include but are not limited to; food service providers, transportation, admissions, route planning, staffing, maintenance of existing land permits, emergency response and curriculum plans to maintain appropriate risk management and oversight of safety systems.
● Provides direct customer care for participants and their families/teachers/agencies.
● Oversee COVID facilities practices and improve systems based on iterative learning throughout operations.
● Maintains up-to-date knowledge of current industry trends and standards.
● In times of need: field ready to replace a staff member on course.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
● Degree in one of the following fields: leadership, social sciences, outdoor education, or similar.
● 3 years in a supervisory role, supervising seasonal faculty and administrative staff members is an asset.
● Understanding and experience applying OBC operations, philosophy and pedagogy is preferred.
● Proficient in leadership, problem-solving, planning and prioritizing.
● Experience in adventure and experiential education delivery.
● Experience in managing and maintaining a positive instructor community.
● Highly organized, computer, database, and social media proficient.
● High level of mentorship, professionalism, and follow-through.
● Course Director experience with knowledge in Rocky Mountain Region hiking expeditions is highly preferred.
● Must be willing to maintain a flexible schedule and to work on weekends and holidays, as needed weekends as needed.
● Wilderness First Responder (WFR) with CPR-C
● ACMG hiking guide certifications (Asset).
● Valid driver’s license, Class-4 (or equivalent) and driving abstract
● Position requires a police background check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Full-Time Fixed Term Contract (10-Month contract term), pay range $50,000-$60,000/yr (prorated to contract duration) & benefits
READY TO APPLY?
Cover letters, resumes and trip logs can be submitted via our application database: click here.
If you encounter any problems with our online application process, please email your application to email@example.com.
Please identify the position as “Rocky Mountain Program Manager” when you apply.
Application deadline: February 19, 2021.
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience beyond technical requirements of a job, if your experience is close to what you see listed, please consider applying. Diversity of experience and skill combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence. Outward Bound Canada strives to have a broad representation that is reflective of the diversity of Canada and values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to inclusion in our organization. We encourage applications from all individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, racialized people, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and all other equity-seeking groups.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.