The Pacific Salmon Commission (PSC), an international organization responsible for transboundary salmon fisheries management in Canada and the United States, is seeking one Assistant Fisheries Technician for seasonal contract positions. The position will begin June 26, 2023 and continue until the end of upstream sockeye and pink salmon migration (approximately end of September/early October). Based at the Mission Hydroacoustic field site in Matsqui Regional Park, Abbotsford, BC, the Assistant Fisheries Technician(s) will assist in deploying, monitoring, and processing hydroacoustic data to monitor the upstream passage of Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon. The field site is located on the traditional territory of Sumas (Semá:th) First Nation.
In addition to gaining experience in fisheries hydroacoustics, small vessel operation, and hands-on salmon mortality sampling, successful applicants will be contributing towards the assessment of sockeye and pink salmon populations for fisheries management as part of an international fisheries agency. This position is an excellent opportunity for applicants looking to gain more experience in the Pacific Salmon management process.
Duties and Responsibilities – Work task assignment (approx.): 70% computer; 30% field work
Work Task Assignment / % Allocation
Processing hydroacoustic data to count fish passage through the lower Fraser River 65%
Assisting with the deployment and monitoring of hydroacoustic equipment 15%
Setting-up and maintaining the field site at Mission 10%
Monitoring data collection and performing backups using Microsoft Windows software 5%
Operating a boat on the Fraser River (approximate length: 18ft) 5%
• Experience using Microsoft Excel and Windows operating systems
• Ability to work shift work, including night shifts (shifts may include weekends and/or overtime)
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time enumerating data and working on computers
• Ability to work as part of a team and communicate effectively with team members
• Comfortable working independently at a field site
• Ability to operate or willingness to learn proper boat operation in a riverine environment
• Possession of a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) (Can be acquired in 1-day at https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/)
• Valid driver’s license and access to transportation to/from the field site in Matsqui Trail Regional Park, Abbotsford, BC (public transit to the field site is not available)
• Proof of complete COVID-19 vaccinations
• Experience with setting up and operating a field site
• Experience operating a vessel and working in a riverine environment
• Swiftwater Rescue, ROC-M, or SVOP certifications
• Knowledge of fisheries and/or salmon biology
• Interest in fisheries management
Wages will begin at $ 24.11 CAD per hour depending on experience plus 4% in lieu of vacation.
Applications should be received by 11:59pm PDT Friday, May 19, 2023, and be addressed to Ms. Ehrmantraut at email@example.com. Include a cover letter and résumé with two references. Please reference the name of the position in the email subject line.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.