The Pacific Salmon Commission (PSC), an international organization responsible for transboundary
salmon fisheries management in Canada and the United States, is seeking two Vessel Operators for
a 3‐month contract position, from late June to the end of September. Based at the Mission
Hydroacoustic field site in Abbotsford, BC, vessel operators will collect hydroacoustic data while
piloting a 7‐metre (~22ft) vessel across the Fraser River. Successful applicants will become familiar
with fisheries hydroacoustics while contributing towards the assessment of sockeye salmon
populations for fisheries management as part of an international fisheries agency.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Operate a 7‐metre (~22ft) vessel transecting across the Fraser River to collect
– Deploy and monitor hydroacoustic equipment to ensure accurate data collection
– Troubleshoot minor vessel problems
– Record fishing vessel activity at the hydroacoustic site
– Assist with the set‐up and take‐down of the field site as required
– Experience operating a boat
– Ability to work shift work, including night shifts (9am – 9pm; 9pm – 9am)
– Comfortable working independently
– Possession of a Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC)
– Valid driver’s license and means of transportation to/from the field operations site
in Matsqui Trail Regional Park, Abbotsford, BC.
– Experience with boating in a riverine environment
– Experience with boat engine repairs
– Familiarity with fisheries and/or environmental awareness
– Possession of the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP) certification
– Possession of a Marine Radio Operators Certificate (ROC‐M)
– Possession of a Marine Emergency Duties Certificate (MED‐A3/SDV‐BS)
Wages will begin at $ 22.50 CAD per hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation.
Applications should be received by midnight Friday, May 7, 2021, and be addressed to Ms.
Ehrmantraut at email@example.com. Include a cover letter and résumé with two references. Please
reference the name of the position in the email subject line.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.