Zookeeper – Part Time Contract
The Riverview Park & Zoo Zookeeper is responsible for the health and well being of the animals in the zoological collection as well as the maintenance of animal exhibits, buildings, grounds and equipment. In addition the Zookeeper will (at times) be responsible for the direction and organization of day-to-day work for seasonal/student staff, ensuring work is completed in a safe and timely fashion, and that all policies and practices are adhered to.
- All aspects of daily care for the animal collection including animal nutrition, husbandry, enrichment, training, etc. This includes caring for/working with both domestic and non-domestic species with mammals, birds, reptiles and fish all being represented.
- Employ appropriate work methods, techniques, tools, equipment, etc. for working with dangerous animals.
- Observation of animal behaviour, condition, medical problems, etc.
- Diet preparation, proper food storage and replenishment of supplies.
- Regular delivery of enrichment activities for the zoo’s collection as set out in the enrichment program.
- Provide operant conditioning (behavioural training) for a variety of species.
- Complete duties/responsibilities in a safe manner and in compliance with all related procedures, policies & practices.
- Grounds and facility maintenance in and around the animal exhibits inside animal exhibits and service areas. This includes grass cutting/trimming, snow/ice removal, minor repairs, etc.
- Assisting with the planning, designing, constructing and maintenance of animal exhibits.
- Assisting with the public education of zoo guests, school groups and other education program activities.
- Collect and submit fecal specimens of animal collection on a routine basis, administer de-wormers as required.
- Assist with the delivery of the animal health program including preventative, routine and emergency medical procedures, animal restraint, etc.
- Maintain accurate records for animal collection and facilities. This includes the regular completion of logs/reports for diet/feeding, husbandry, enrichment, training, medical procedures/treatments general observations, inventory as well as surveys/questionnaires.
- Coordinate, assign, evaluate, and supervise the work of seasonal/student staff.
- Assist with the orientation, training, etc. of seasonal/student staff regarding procedures, safety, and equipment operation.
- Perform preventive maintenance on tools/equipment and ensure equipment is in proper working order.
- Continually review and keep abreast of pertinent legislation, regulations and guidelines including:
Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA);
Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) Ministry of Environment.
CAZA/AZAC policies, standards, etc.
- Maintain an ongoing commitment to personal development/continuing education.
- Responsible for personal safety and the safety of others that is dependent upon their actions. Report hazards and unsafe acts or conditions encountered on the job to fellow workers and supervisors. Responsible for having a working knowledge of all applicable safety legislation pertaining to the job;
- Other duties as assigned.
Academic and professional qualifications:
Advanced (College Diploma, Certificate or Trade ) discipline: Post Secondary School diploma or degree in an animal related field e.g. Conservation biology, Veterinary Technology, Fish and Wildlife Technology or equivalent education and/or work experience.
A minimum of three (3) years of experience in providing animal care and facility maintenance in a zoo/aquarium setting and including nutrition, husbandry, enrichment, training, etc. for a variety of domestic and exotic species.
Skills (Technical Skills):
- Proficient in animal husbandry and thorough understanding of behavior for domestic and exotic animals.
- Working knowledge of captive breeding and wildlife conservation.
- Highly observant, methodical and detail oriented. Able to organize and prioritize between a variety of responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, lead, work co-operatively and promote a professional multi-disciplinary team.
- Working knowledge of use and care of motorized equipment and hand/power tools used in grounds keeping and maintenance activities.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to zookeeping, use of tools and equipment, and proper use of chemicals and disinfecting agents.
- Experience with/competent in maintaining records for animal collections/facilities. This includes the r logs/reports for diet/feeding, husbandry, enrichment, training, medical procedures/treatments general observations, inventory etc.
- Successful completion and obtained certification/licence on the following courses/certifications:
Fire Arms Acquisition Certificate (PAL)
First Aid, C.P.R. and A.E.D;
- Proficient in the use of the MS Windows, MSOffice Suite and ZIMS (Zoological Information Management System) applications.
- Demonstrated excellent attendance record.
- Demonstrated excellent safety record and attitude.
- Valid Class G driver’s licence and good driving record; and
- Ability to meet the Physical Demands Analysis.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.