Position Title: Wildlife Keeper
Status: Seasonal, Full time
Location: Scarborough (Rouge Park, 2 locations), possibly Toronto (Downsview Park) for training
Reports to: Wildlife Rehabilitation Manager
Start Date: Summer 2022
Commitment: 3-4 month contract
Compensation: Starting at $15.00 per hour
About Toronto Wildlife Centre
Toronto Wildlife Centre is the only wildlife centre in the Greater Toronto Area and the busiest in Canada. Dedicated to the rehabilitation of sick, injured and orphaned wildlife, and to educating the public on wildlife-related issues; TWC is the only wildlife centre in Canada with highly-trained wildlife veterinarians on staff, a dedicated Wildlife Rescue Program, and the only wildlife centre in Ontario with an Oil Spill Response Program. More than 30,000 phone calls from the public are handled each year through TWC’s Wildlife Hotline; this service is the busiest of its kind in North America and is considered to be a model internationally. Approximately 5,000 wild animals are admitted each year representing over 270 different species of wildlife. TWC works closely with other organizations to ensure the well-being of wildlife and our shared environments. As a registered charity, TWC relies on donations from members of the public, foundations, and like-minded organizations. Volunteers work in all areas of the centre from wildlife care to IT support.
Students will care for native wildlife at our 2 Rouge Park locations, where animals are housed in an indoor hospital setting as well as in outdoor pre-release cages. Duties would include cleaning of enclosures, preparing diets and feeding animals, hand-feeding orphan squirrels, assisting with medical treatments, and monitoring the progress of wildlife in the final stages of rehabilitation. In addition, students will assist with the day-to-day running of this facility – maintaining supplies, cage repairs, training volunteers, etc. Students may have the ability to assist with building new release cages and den boxes. Researching behaviour, diet, and habitat for native wildlife species may also be part of their responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Upholds a positive, professional, and safe working environment at all times
· Provides daily care to wildlife patients at our Rouge Park location, including but not limited to cleaning, weighing, nutritional, caging, enrichment and any other special needs.
· Adheres to feeding schedules and meeting other wildlife care needs as they arise.
· Administers prescribed treatments and medications according to policies.
· Maintains wildlife care charts.
· Cleans and maintains facility daily.
· Assists with cage building, repair and maintenance e.g. minor carpentry
· Ensures satisfactory completion of all daily tasks.
· Assists Wildlife Care Supervisors in moving wildlife through the rehabilitation process in a timely and successful manner.
· Assists with patient transfers between facilities including cage set-up and other needs.
· Takes a leadership role in training and providing direction to volunteers when needed.
· Handles wildlife in a manner that maximizes human and wildlife safety while minimizing stress to wildlife at all times.
· Handles wildlife in the appropriate manner to minimize the risk of contraction of zoonotic disease. Able to train volunteers to do as well.
· Must be available for weekends
· Previous animal experience strongly preferred
· Pre-exposure Rabies vaccines mandatory
· Access to a vehicle to drive between facilities an asset
Skills and Abilities:
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Able to work well with a large and varied team
· Strong attention to detail and organization skills
· Able to follow instructions and protocols well and work with minimal supervision
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume, rabies titre and availability, to email@example.com. Please make sure “Wildlife Keeper” is included in the subject line.
We would like to thank you for your interest in this position. Unfortunately, due to the anticipated number of candidates only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.