Location of Work: Work will commence daily at 1095 North Shore Road, Algonquin Highlands
Reports to: Trails Coordinator
- Conduct hiking trail, campsite, portage and related equipment maintenance and inspections for the Frost Centre and Poker Lakes Canoe Routes, Algonquin Highlands Hiking Trails and the Frost Centre Ski and Snowshoe Trails. Collecting garbage, stocking brochures, and cleaning outhouses at access points and trail heads;
Perform the duties of a By-Law Officer The Township of Algonquin Highlands Parks, Recreation and Trails Department is seeking one (1) individual to fulfill the following seasonal full-time position:
Position: (1) Seasonal full-time Trail Technician/By-law Officer
Contract Term: 40 hours /week, May 3 to October 15, 2021. This contract is for a new position which has the potential to be extended into fall/winter operations on a part-time basis.
Wage: $20.83 – $23.44 hourly
Hours: Five days a week from 8:30 am- 5:00 pm. Weekends and holidays as scheduled. Regular days off will be scheduled mid-week.
- , patrolling interior lakes and forest access roads checking campers for valid permits and compliance with program by-laws. Issuance of provincial offence notices, compilation of evidence, note taking, preparing crown briefs and attendance in court if required;
- Operate, maintain, and repair ½ ton 4×4 pickup trucks, motorized boats, canoes, ATV’s, snowmobiles as well as various hand tools and power tools;
- Working as a team member or individually and outdoors in variable/adverse weather conditions and high biting insect populations;
- Perform office administrative duties such as opening/closing, filing, creation and maintenance of spreadsheets, reports, merchandise sales, canoe rentals, cash/credit card handling, telephone and email inquiries etc.;
- Issue camping permits and register campers using reservation software;
- Other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate would have a diploma in or be working towards Conservation & Environmental Law Enforcement who aspires towards a career in wilderness parks settings as a Park Warden or Conservation Officer;
- Strong assets would include training as a municipal law enforcement officer, provincial offences officer or environmental law;
- Chainsaw operators certification with a level of comfort & experience is a strong asset as tree removal from trails and campsites is a regular function;
- Must possess a valid class “G” driver’s license for the Province of Ontario and have a clean drivers abstract;
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid, ORCKA Canoeing, Bronze-Cross Swimming and Wilderness Survival Certifications are assets, or ability to obtain;
- Pleasure craft operator card and experience with operating a motor boat;
- Must be very comfortable on and around the water in various types of canoes and motor boats and adverse weather;
- Good physical fitness and endurance with the ability to portage a canoe with a pack or to hike on-trail for up to 6km with a pack and tools sometimes for several days in a row in all weather conditions;
- Work with minimal direction/supervision – must be a highly motivated self-starter with good attention to detail and high level of professionalism;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs and other computer software;
- Backcountry navigation with map/compass/GPS, canoeing, hiking, and other outdoor experience;
- Knowledge of workplace Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS;
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and customer service skills with an upbeat, positive and outgoing personality;
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, occasionally high stress environment and manage time with competing priorities.
The Township of Algonquin Highlands is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process, upon the request of the applicant. Please advise in advance if you require accommodation.
In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will be used only for candidate selection.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by 3:00 pm on Friday, March 12, 2021 to:
Dawn Mugford-Guay, Human Resources Coordinator
Township of Algonquin Highlands
1123 North Shore Road, Algonquin Highlands, Ontario, K0M 1J1
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.