Website Algonquin Wildlife Research Station
A leader in wildlife research through experiential learning
Position: Assistant Cook
Location: Algonquin Wildlife Research Station, Algonquin Provincial Park
Contract: Late April – early September (with the possibility of an extension)
Salary: $2240 per month (accommodations and meals included)
Deadline for application: March 24, 2018; applications will be considered as they are received.
Always dreamed of waking up in a quaint cabin on a quiet lake to the majestic call of a loon or going to bed to the sound of wolves howling in the distance? Here is your opportunity to do so. The historic Algonquin Wildlife Research Station (WRS), in Algonquin Provincial Park is looking to hire an Assistant Cook for the upcoming field season. The terms of employment will be at minimum from April 29th to September 2nd, 2018, with the possibility of extension into early October. All meals and accommodations (semi-private lakeside cabin) will be provided. The WRS is a not-for-profit entity that supports University and College researchers and field courses as well as some government researchers.
The Assistant Cook’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Planning a menu and preparing nutritionally balanced meals (including omnivore/vegetarian) for 20 – 40+ people served buffet style
• Placing wholesale orders (determining proper quantities when ordering)
• Proper storage and rotation of food kept on-site
• Monitoring and maintenance of food and supplies inventory
• Working with the Manager and Head Cook to ensure efficient operation of the cookhouse
• Cleaning and maintaining the kitchen and cookhouse facilities
• Opening/closing seasonal kitchen facilities
The AWRS Cookhouse provides 3 meals per day, 7 days per week, to anywhere from 20 – 50 researchers, field technicians and staff. Meals are prepared in a fully outfitted (no deep fryers, very little pre-package food) kitchen and served buffet style in a communal dining area. Cook staff will work 5 days per week, 3 days with the Head Cook and 2 days independently, therefore planning, strong organizational skills and a strong work ethic are crucial attributes of the successful applicant. The applicant should also savor life in a beautifully secluded forest setting. An interest in biological research and/or appreciation for the outdoors would also be a benefit.
Other preferred qualifications include:
• Experience in all aspects of food handling and preparation
• Knowledge of cooking “from scratch” with bulk ingredients
• Basic culinary knowledge and knowledge of products
• Experience in large-quantity cooking is an asset but not necessary
• Safe Food Handlers Certificate
• Knowledge of food safety guidelines
• Ability to plan and implement a cost effective menu
• Strong interpersonal skills
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to live and work at a well-known research station in a renowned provincial park. Spare time can be spent volunteering with researchers or on the extensive property of the Algonquin Wildlife Research Station, or on the multitude of park trails. Canoes and hiking trails are available on the research station property.
Applicants must send an email with a cover letter outlining qualifications, a resume, and contact information for 2 references to:
Tim Winegard, Station Manager
Wildlife Research Station
P.O. Box 49
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
All AWRS staff receive free meals and accommodations at the research station for the duration of their work contract. Significant experience in hospitality and kitchen management, and unlimited access to the canoes, waterways and trails on the AWRS property.