Website Algonquin Wildlife Research Station
A leader in wildlife research through experiential learning
Position: Assistant Manager
Location: Algonquin Wildlife Research Station, Algonquin Provincial Park
Contract: Mid April – early October (approximately)
Salary: $2400 per month (accommodations and meals included)
Deadline for application: March 24, 2018; applications will be considered as they are received.
Always dreamed of waking up in a lakeside cabin to the majestic call of a loon, or going to bed to the sound of wolves howling in the distance? Here is your opportunity to do so. The historic Algonquin Wildlife Research Station (WRS), located in Algonquin Provincial Park is looking to hire an Assistant Manager for the upcoming field season. The term of employment will be, at minimum, from April 23nd to October 5, 2018, with the possibility of extension. All meals and accommodations (semi-private lakeside cabin) will be provided. The WRS is a not-for-profit organization that supports University and College researchers and field courses, as well as government researchers.
The Assistant Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Maintaining buildings, research areas, and equipment (e.g. repairs, renovations, plumbing, construction, painting, cleaning, brush removal, trail maintenance, etc.)
• Responsible for all staff and researchers while Manager is off-site
• Providing logistical support for research projects and field courses
• Opening and winterizing seasonal buildings and equipment
• Working with the Manager to ensure efficient operations in all aspects of the research station, including: working with kitchen staff, welcoming guests and clients, ensuring compliance with health and safety expectations of clients and staff.
• Assist Manager in organizing special events, such as Meet the Researcher Day and workshops
Ideally, the successful applicant will have some experience with maintenance, renovations, or construction. The applicant should also savor life in a beautifully secluded forest setting. An interest in biological research and/or appreciation for the outdoors would also be a benefit.
Other qualifications should include:
• Mechanical aptitude
• Strong interpersonal and organization skills
• Ability to work independently, and as a team
• Strong leadership skills
• An appreciation for the outdoors
• Strong work ethic
• Willing to work outside in varied weather condition
• Valid G Driver’s License with clean record (ability to drive manual transmission vehicles)
• Chainsaw operators certification, First Aid/CPR and other workplace certifications would be considered an asset
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to live and work at a well-known research station in a renowned provincial park. Spare time can be spent volunteering with researchers, exploring the extensive property of the Algonquin Wildlife Research Station, or travelling the multitude of park trails. Canoes and hiking trails are also available on the research station property.
Applicants must send an email with a cover letter outlining qualifications, a resume, and contact information for 2 references to:
Timothy Winegard, Station Manager
Wildlife Research Station
P.O. Box 49
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
AWRS staff receive: free meals and accommodations while at the station, as well as legitimate and extensive work experience in their field of employment which will help them stand out when applying for jobs in the future.