Website Toronto and Region Conservation Authority
- Contract duration: 8 months
Under the direction and guidance of a Site Supervisor, Operations and Implementation, and in cooperation with Conservation Lands and Trails and Forestry Services project teams, the Field Staff position is responsible for providing general labour and equipment operation support in the delivery of construction, conservation land care and forestry projects. Candidates will be exposed to aspects of the care and handling of plant materials, tree identification, current techniques and best management practices in environmental landscape construction and conservation land care, and the safe operation and maintenance of a wide range of tools and equipment. Provide excellent client and customer service. Working safely is a condition of employment.
Perform the following tasks under direct supervision:
- Assist with the implementation of tree planting programs including riparian and habitat enhancement, softscaping of environmental landscape construction projects, and both hand planting and machine planting of reforestation projects.
- Provide active operational support on Environmental Landscape, Infrastructure and Restoration Construction projects – includes the physical implementation of regional multi-use granular and paved trails, wetlands, shorelines, and habitat creation, restoration, enhancement and naturalization.
- Provide active, operational support on assigned Land Care Maintenance projects– includes creation and repair of TRCA lands infrastructure including fencing, boardwalks, kiosks, natural surface trails, and mowing and clearing of existing paths.
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of the tools and equipment required of each program.
- Participate in the maintenance of a safe, clean work environment through application of good housekeeping practices and in compliance with the TRCA Health and Safety Policies and all relevant Federal, Provincial and Municipal legislation and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in resource management, environmental or engineering science, landscape design, construction or an equivalent combination of education, skills and experience.
- Valid Ontario G or G2 driver’s license.
- Standard First Aid / CPR is an asset.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated experience and aptitude for outdoor activities.
- Demonstrated ability to work outdoors in adverse conditions.
- Familiarity with farm, landscape and construction equipment, including small tools and larger machinery.
Please apply to this posting via our website at https://apply.trca.ca/. Submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting # TRCA-045-19 prior to midnight on March 8, 2019.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or drivers abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.