Contract: Late April–late August (with the possibility of an extension)
Salary: $15.50 per hour, 40 hours per week (accommodations and meals provided)
Deadline for application: March 31; applications will be considered as they are received
Always dreamed of waking up in a quaint cabin on a quiet lake to the majestic call of a loon, or going to bed to the sound of wolves howling in the distance? Here is your opportunity to do so. The historic Algonquin Wildlife Research Station (AWRS), in Algonquin Provincial Park is looking to hire an Assistant Cook for the 2023 field season. The terms of employment will be approximately April 24 to August 30, 2023, with the possibility of extension to early October. All meals and accommodations (semi-private lakeside cabin) will be provided. The AWRS is a not-for-profit organization that supports wildlife research and conservation, student training in the environmental and natural sciences, and outdoor education.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Cook include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation of nutritionally balanced meals for 15–40+ people, including for omnivore, vegetarian, and allergy restricted diets
- Assisting Head Cook with menu planning and placing wholesale orders
- Cleaning, disinfecting, and maintaining Cookhouse facilities in accordance with Safe Food Handling protocols and COVID-19 policies
- Ensuring that food is properly stored
- Monitoring and maintenance of food and supplies inventory
- Assisting with opening/closing of seasonal kitchen facilities
- Collaborate with the Head Cook and the Station Manager to ensure efficient and safe operation of the Cookhouse
The AWRS Cookhouse provides 3 meals per day, 7 days per week, to 15–40+ persons. Meals are prepared from scratch in a fully outfitted kitchen and served buffet-style in a communal dining area. Cook staff includes a Head Cook and an Assistant Cook, each of whom will work 5 days per week, 3 days together and 2 days independently, therefore planning, strong organizational skills and a strong work ethic are crucial attributes of the successful applicant. The applicant should also savor life in a beautifully secluded forest setting while being comfortable in a communal living environment. An interest in biological research and/or appreciation for the outdoors is also a benefit.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Safe Food Handling Certificate
- Experience with food handling and preparation
- Knowledge of cooking “from scratch” with bulk ingredients
- Basic culinary knowledge and knowledge of products
- Knowledge of food safety guidelines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience in large quantity cooking is considered an asset
- Current First Aid and CPR certificates are considered assets
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to live and work at a well-known research station in a renowned provincial park. Spare time can be spent volunteering with researchers, exploring the expansive Wildlife Research Area, or hiking the multitude of park trails. Canoes and hiking trails are available on the research station property.
We pay our respects to the traditional stewards of the land on which the AWRS exists and of Algonquin Park in its whole. The Station and much of Algonquin Park are located within unceded Algonquin territory. Algonquin Park as a whole also contains territory of the Anishinaabeg, specifically the Chippewa, Ojibwa and Nippissing, and lands under the Robinson-Huron Treaty of 1850 and the Williams Treaties of 1923. This land has also been used by Metis and other Indigenous people as it includes major travel routes on its rivers and waterways. We are always open to learning and discussion.
Applicants should be eligible for Canada Summer Jobs funding (between 15-30 years of age at the beginning of the term and a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada).
Please send an email with a cover letter outlining qualifications, a resume, and contact information for two references to:
Kevin Kemmish, Station Manager
Algonquin Wildlife Research Station
P.O. Box 49
Whitney, Ontario K0J 2M0
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.