eDNAtec Inc. is a young, fast-paced, and quickly growing Canadian company developing environmental DNA technologies to support new, world-leading biodiversity assessment and monitoring programs. We are dedicated to improving the environmental stewardship and support regulators, researchers, and industries, including energy, fisheries, and aquaculture, with critical ecosystem data.
The Centre for Environmental Genomics Applications (CEGA), located in St. John’s, NL, is eDNAtec’s core facility and independent research centre. Scientists with diverse backgrounds spanning fields such as ecology, molecular biology, genomics, chemistry, statistics, computer science, and bioinformatics work together to produce high quality data for clients around the world while also advancing the science. Come join us at the leading edge!
We are looking for a Junior Field Ecologist to join our team at CEGA. The Ecology group focuses on the field collection of environmental genomics samples, data analysis and interpretation of genomics data, and science communication. The Junior Field Ecologist will primarily work on sample collection and data management, and support the Ecology team on other activities as needed.
Technical Lead Role
- Sample collection (may require work on evenings and weekends and overnight travel).
- Planning, procurement, and logistics for eDNA field sampling.
- Maintaining field supply inventory.
- Field equipment maintenance.
- Sample receiving and sample inventory upkeep using LIMS.
- Draft and maintain SOPs under an ISO framework.
- Develop and test new eDNA sampling methodologies.
- Sample pre-processing (e.g., water filtration) for downstream lab analysis.
Technical Lead Role
- Provide training on eDNA sample collection methods.
- Prepare reports and presentations for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Participate in educational and promotional videos/multimedia showcasing our technology.
Data Analysis & Interpretation
- Data management and curation of large environmental genomics datasets
- Statistical analysis and ecological interpretation of environmental genomics results
- Literature review and data curation from publicly available databases to support R&D
Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience leading and conducting ecological data and/or sample collection for multiple projects. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with eDNA samples.
- Exceptional organization and time management skills to balance working on multiple projects and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and comfortable with being in educational or promotional multimedia or videos showcasing our technology.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to think on your feet to address challenges and troubleshoot in dynamic environments.
- Knowledge of basic ecological and molecular biology concepts, community ecology, and statistical methods demonstrated by a degree in biology, marine biology, environmental sciences, or associated field OR 1-3 years of relevant work/research experience.
- Fluent in the use of standard Microsoft Office software and comfortable using a range of software and apps (e.g., project management applications).
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to follow standard operating procedures in a DNA “clean room” environment.
- Valid Canadian driver’s license.
- First Aid/Wilderness/Marine Certifications are a plus.
What CEGA offers:
CEGA is driven by a passionate team revolutionizing the way we monitor our environment. This permanent, full-time position will give the opportunity join this dedicated team working on innovative and impactful projects with great opportunities for professional development opportunities. This position includes a competitive salary (based on experience, starting at $44,500), a comprehensive benefits package, paid vacation time, and RRSP matching.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume describing how you meet the skills and qualifications for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
While CEGA would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.