Animal Care Technician
Do you have a passion for animals and caring for them? Science North is recruiting for an Animal Care Technician for the vertebrate animals ambassadors living at the science centre. Working alongside Staff Scientists on the Northern Ecosystems’ floor and the F. Jean MacLeod Butterfly Gallery, the Animal Care Technician leads all activities related to animal care and husbandry. The technician also develops and implements animal enrichment procedures, training plans and ensures that all husbandry protocols follow standards set out by the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquaria (CAZA).
- Providing hands on care for a beaver, porcupine, flying squirrels, bats, snakes, fish, turtles, frogs and insects.
- Working independently and troubleshooting a variety of issues with minimal supervision.
- Researching the most current husbandry practices and implementing new self-taught techniques and protocols.
- Maintaining animal care schedules, inventory, food, medication and paperwork.
- Performing basic veterinary services such as, administering needles and medications and dealing with difficult feeding situations.
- Acting as the primary contact person to manage animal emergencies (which may include evenings, weekends and public holidays).
- Leading an external Animal Care Committee to ensure best practice and ethical animal care and welfare.
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant field (Zoology, Wildlife Biology) and/or Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) , and/or equivalent experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal (English) and written, as well as demonstrated leadership abilities and strong organizational skills.
- Extensive experience working in: zoos, aquaria, wildlife rehabilitation centres, or wildlife veterinarian offices.
- Experience working with a variety of animal groups including: fish, amphibians, reptiles and mammals, as well as associated life support systems, such as filtration systems, sterilizers and heat lamps.
- A valid G class driver’s license and the ability to drive for extended periods of time at various hours of the day. Access to reliable vehicle or transportation to respond to animal emergencies.
- Able and willing to receive necessary vaccinations as required (i.e. tetanus, rabies).
- Be able to work in a physically demanding environment; stretching, crouching, entering enclosures and lifting objects up to 50lbs.
Don’t meet every single requirement? At Science North we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
- Full-time permanent opportunity
- Starting salary range $41,000 to $48,000 per year, based on experience
- Annual performance and merit increase consideration
- Participation in the Science North Employee Incentive Plan
- Flexible work arrangements
- Comprehensive group benefit package including medical, dental, vision, paramedical, life/travel insurance, short and long-term disability coverage, 24/7 telemedicine access, wellness spending account/ onsite physio/chiro services
- Onsite exercise room
- Pension plan following one year (6% employee / 9% employer contribution)
- Science North annual family membership
- Free or discounted admission to other attractions outside Sudbury, Science North facilities and program discounts, fitness membership contribution, on-site parking, on-site gym
- Professional development opportunities
- Minimum 3 weeks vacation with incremental entitlements of one week after 5 and 10 years of service
- Employee Referral Program
- Free parking
Apply online at http://sciencenorth.ca/careers. An early application represents your best opportunity for consideration. Science North is committed to an inclusive workplace and invites applications from all qualified individuals to join our diverse team. Accommodations are available upon request in all aspects of Science North’s selection process. We thank all interested candidates; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Science North is a registered charity
Science North is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit can63.dayforcehcm.com.