The Upper Thames River Conservation Authority invites applications for the position of:
Assistant Superintendent, Conservation Areas
(Permanent, Full Time)
Who Are We?
The Upper Thames River Conservation Authority’s (UTRCA) mission statement is Inspiring a Healthy Environment. The 17 municipalities within the Upper Thames River watershed appoint representatives to the UTRCA’s Board of Directors who represent the local urban and rural communities, deciding policies and programs that will lead to a healthy watershed. Our programs and services focus on five key areas:
▪ Protecting people and property and supporting safe development;
▪ Delivering landowner stewardship;
▪ Providing natural spaces and recreational opportunities;
▪ Making science-based decisions;
▪ Empowering communities and youth.
The Upper Thames River watershed encompasses an area of 3,421 square kilometers and is mainly rural but includes the urban centres of London, Stratford, and Woodstock. The UTRCA serves a total population of approximately 539,500 residents.
UTRCA Conservation Areas provide outdoor recreational opportunities that aim to educate and promote conservation messages to a large audience in an effort to improve the watershed’s natural environment
Who Are You?
As a member of the UTRCA team you will contribute to the mission of Inspiring a Healthy Environment through your skill and expertise, but also through your passion for the environment and calling to support change and make an impact. You will collaborate with like-minded colleagues to facilitate innovative approaches to the work you do in a supportive, friendly, and connected environment. The UTRCA embraces togetherness – you’ll know your colleagues, have a great time working together, and feel like you belong here. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
The Assistant Superintendent reports to the Superintendent, Conservation Areas and assists in the day to day operation of the conservation area, the UTRCA lands associated with it, the supervision of staff related to the position and support the objectives and outcomes of the UTRCA Strategic Plan, Environmental Targets and their associated mandates and policies. The position performs regulatory enforcement activities as a Provincial Offences Officer as well as ensures on site drinking water systems are managed according to the applicable Acts and Regulations. See position description for further details.
As part of the Conservation Area Unit within the UTRCA, this position will be assigned a work location at Pittock Conservation Area in Woodstock, Ontario. Incumbents may be re-assigned to other Conservation Areas based on the operational requirements of the Unit.
▪ A two-year (2) Diploma from a accredited College with a focus on Parks, Recreation, Law Enforcement program or other related field is required;
▪ Valid Ontario Driver’s License required;
▪ A Provincial Offences Officer designation, or ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire;
▪ Chainsaw Operations Certification;
▪ Swimming pool operation and certification would be considered an asset.
▪ Minimum of (3) three years’ work experience in Conservation Area maintenance, operations and/or enforcement program, or in a related field is required;
▪ Minimum of (1) one year experience supervision, mentoring and coaching staff, preferably within the Parks / Conservation Area environment;
▪ A comprehensive understanding of Ontario Drinking Water Protection Regulation and experience and ability to upgrade to specific system requirements;
▪ Previous enforcement experience would be considered an asset.
Compensation and Other Information
▪ $35.81 to $43.57 per hour;
▪ Full time, 35 hours per week;
▪ Comprehensive Group Benefits, Pension Plan (OMERS) and Vacation package;
▪ Free access to UTRCA Conservation Areas (Fanshawe, Pittock and Wildwood);
▪ Start Date: As soon as possible.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by April 13, 2023 at 2:00pm to be considered for this opportunity. Please submit your cover letter and resume to the UTRCA, in confidence, via:
Mail: 1424 Clarke Road, London, ON, N5V 5B9
Please indicate the position title in the subject line of your email. While we thank all applications for their interest in the position, only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
As per our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all UTRCA staff members are required to be fully vaccinated. As a condition of hire, successful candidates will be required to show proof of vaccination prior to their start date unless medically exempt or otherwise exempt under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We are committed to providing a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment that is free from discrimination and fosters belonging. We encourage and welcome applications from qualified members of the four designated groups, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Accommodation is available and will be provided in all aspects of the hiring process as required under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation and as request by applicants. Should you require accommodation in making an application, please contact UTRCA by phone at 519-451-2800 or at the email address above.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority
outlined in the Conservation Authorities Act R.S.O. 1990, c. C.27, s. 18 (1) and will be used to determine eligibility for employment. Questions about this collection of personal information should be directed to: General Manager, Upper Thames River Conservation Authority, 1424 Clarke Road, London, ON N5V 5B9, 519-451-2800.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit thamesriver.on.ca.