Job ID: 17142
Job Category: Parks & Natural Resources
Division & Section: Parks, Forestry & Recreation, PFR UF Urban Forestry
Work Location: Various, please see below
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Permanent
Hourly Rate: $30.57
Hours & Shift Information: 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday: 7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Affiliation: L416 Outside
Number of Positions Open: 9
Posting Period: 10-Jun-2021 to 24-Jun-2021
Work Locations & Number of Positions:
· Pharmacy Yard, 125 Pharmacy Avenue – 4 vacancies
· Kipling Yard, 441 Kipling Avenue – 3 vacancies
· High Park Office, 140 Colborne Lodge Drive – 1 vacancy
· Oriole Yard, 247 Esther Shiner Boulevard – 1 vacancy
· Participates in the design, preparation, planting, monitoring and maintenance of natural area plantings and landscapes in City-owned lands, applying ecological principles and silvicultural techniques, as well as all aspects of Plant Health Care.
· Monitors natural areas and plantings; implements effective Plant Health Care management, including weed control, mechanical cutting, pruning, mulching, water and prescribed burn preparation; performs inventories of plant material; and keeps accurate records.
· Operates various types of motor vehicles and mechanized forestry maintenance equipment.
· Completes work reports, including daily log sheets, tailboard meetings, pesticide use forms and inventories, etc.
· Responds to general natural resource questions from the general public.
· Participates in community stewardship events, including planting events and site tours.
· May be required to direct other staff or volunteers.
· Performs other related work, as assigned.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Diploma or certificate in Ecology, Forestry, Ecosystem Management or a related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in native/non-native plant identification (common to the Toronto region), vegetation inventory and monitoring techniques.
- Experience in forest management activities, including tree planting and invasive vegetation management by physical or chemical methods.
- Possession of a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence and ability to qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and requirements, and ability to maintain same.
- Possession of an Ontario Pesticide Licence with a Forestry or Landscape Exterminator designation, but the Forestry designation is preferred.
- Basic experience utilizing a variety of office equipment or software such as Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
You must also have:
- Knowledge in the establishment and maintenance of native plant communities common to the Toronto region, including planting techniques, weed control through chemical or physical methods, and watering.
- Ability to interpret and implement work plans in order to complete assigned work programs.
- Familiarity with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Ability to maintain good work relations with crew members.
- Physical capability of performing required duties and ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Willingness to work in close proximity to poison ivy and in natural environments where they may be exposed to pollens and allergens.
- Ability and willingness to work with chemical pesticides.
Toronto is home to more than 2.9 million people whose diversity and experiences make this great city Canada’s leading economic engine and one of the world’s most diverse and livable cities. As the fourth largest city in North America, Toronto is a global leader in technology, finance, film, music, culture, and innovation, and consistently places at the top of international rankings due to investments championed by its government, residents and businesses. For more information, visit jobs.toronto.ca or follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/CityTOjobs, on LinkedIn at Linkedin.com/company/city-of-toronto or on Facebook at Facebook.com/CityTOjobs.
How to Apply:
For more information on these and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at https://jobs.toronto.ca/jobsatcity/. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting Job ID 17142, by Thursday, June 24, 2021.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit jobs.toronto.ca.