Job title: Marketing Specialist
Application Deadline: March 16, 2020 (11:59 PM EST)
Contract period: March 2020 – March 31, 2021 (with possibility for renewal)
Status: Full-time contract (37.5 hours per week)
Rate of Pay: $20-25/hour commensurate with experience
Location: Sault Ste. Marie (ON) preferred. Remote work candidates based in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta will also be considered.
A Little About Us
The Invasive Species Centre connects stakeholders, knowledge and technology to prevent the spread of invasive species to protect Canada’s environment, economy, and society. Incorporated as a not-for-profit in 2011 as a hub for collaboration and knowledge sharing, we have grown into a respected collaborator and leader in invasive species knowledge and action. We rely on values of sustainability, collaboration, credibility, professionalism, and efficiency to achieve our vision of a Canada where land and water are protected from invasive species. If you are passionate about protecting Canada’s natural spaces and enjoy working as a part of an upbeat and fast-paced team, please follow the application instructions at the end of this posting.
We are looking to hire one Marketing Specialist to join our multidisciplinary team. The key project this position will support focuses on improving invasive species prevention, control and management, and thereby helping to protect aquatic species at risk, in Central and Western Canada. The successful applicant will work with a range of program partners to reach collaborative and innovative solutions to the dynamic threats posed by a range of aquatic invasive species (AIS).
Our Marketing Specialist will work with our program team to produce a suite of outcomes that strive to address key gaps in aquatic invasive species prevention, control and management. Sample outcomes may include communication strategy reviews of existing AIS programs, reviewing AIS websites to evaluating messaging, accessibility, interactivity and search engine optimization, to reviewing AIS-focused social media content to ensure best practices and other related endeavors. We are seeking a candidate with a minimum of 2 years of related work experience, Bachelor Degree (or equivalent experience), and a passion for science communications and/or marketing.
We are looking for a candidate with demonstrated experience in some of the following areas:
• Website evaluation (SEO, construction, analytics, etc.) and best practices
• Social media evaluation and best practices
• Behavioral psychology and identifying barriers to action
• Program evaluation including strategic communications planning, campaign evaluation and integration of improvement measures
• Identifying target audiences and creating tailored communications
• Multi-jurisdiction environmental collaboration
• Knowledge of best practices in science communication considered an asset
• Knowledge of aquatic invasive species programs, environmental issues and/or other related topics to the Canadian prairies would be considered an asset
• Support communications program review
• Evaluate digital invasive species outreach techniques
• Promote use of best practices pertaining to visual communication tools (e.g. signage, billboards, outreach items, etc.)
• Develop effective strategies for volunteer recruitment and citizen science program development
• Increase collaboration through organizing webinars, workshops, events and meetings
• Support graphic design needs and development of new resources and outreach tools
• Support program manager in tracking program deliverables, Key Performance Indicators and project budgets
• Other duties as assigned
• High energy and passion for the organization’s mission
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and projects while producing high quality results
• Excited by a fast-paced environment that frequently has tight deadlines
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and productivity tools (e.g. Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
• Knowledge of social media best practices
• Knowledge of website design best practices
• Knowledge of behavior change best practices considered an asset
• Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the organization
• Creative problem solver, quick learner, ability to consider a variety of viewpoints
• Strong interpersonal skills, listening skills, and judgement
• Knowledge of federal and/or provincial environmental issues, particularly those facing Central and/or Western Canada considered an asset
• Have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
• Occasional travel and work outside of office hours may be required
• Valid passport and ability to travel outside Canada is considered an asset
To apply for this position, please provide us with a single document (cover letter and resume), in PDF format, that demonstrates how your experience and skills align with this position. Submit by email with subject line “Marketing Specialist” to:
Paula Beemer, Executive Assistant Invasive Species Centre, 1219 Queen Street East, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 2E5 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
No telephone calls please. Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted. The Invasive Species Centre is an equal opportunity and accessible employer. The Invasive Species Centre will provide accommodation for candidates with disabilities during the recruitment process, upon request.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.