Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain.
We partner with individuals, corporations, foundations, Indigenous communities and governments at all levels to protect Canada’s most important natural areas, through securement and the long-term stewardship of our properties.
We make conservation happen. As a partner with industry and government, we help expand parks and protected areas. Our planning work, supporting local communities, Indigenous groups and conservation organizations, helps others to achieve their conservation goals.
Since 1962, NCC and our partners have helped to protect 14 million hectares (35 million acres), coast to coast to coast. By investing in conservation, we are ensuring our natural spaces remain a home for wildlife, a haven where Canadians can enjoy nature and a vital resource that cleans the air we breathe and the water we drink. Our mission gives us hope that the landscapes we love today will be here for others to cherish tomorrow.
As President & CEO (CEO) of NCC, you will lead a national organization in the forefront of protecting nature at a time when climate change is dominating the global conversation.
This is a remarkable opportunity for an outstanding leader to join a well-regarded organization and lead a passionate and diverse group of stakeholders in important efforts to protect the Canadian landscape.
The CEO will lead the development of the vision and strategic direction for NCC in this next chapter, with the appropriate involvement of the Board, staff, and other stakeholders. They will spearhead the development and implementation of strategies to assure the continued operational and financial health of the organization as it enables even greater impact. This leader will report to, and partner with, the Board of Directors.
Inspired by a genuine passion for the mission, the CEO will be a highly visible member of the community, representing NCC to industry and government partners and the public throughout Canada.
This position is open to all candidates from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
Strategic and Visionary Leader
The CEO will be a strategic leader who, with the Board and staff, will define NCC’s future priorities and goals. An effective “big picture” strategist and leader, they will take a consultative approach to evolve the vision of the organization for the future while celebrating the history of its positive impact. The ability to think entrepreneurially will be critical for the organization to reach its full potential. The CEO must also have the capacity to serve as a thought leader, build strategic initiatives and advance an advocacy agenda. They will have demonstrated the ability to respectfully push the boundaries of the NCC’s work and influence and challenge the perspective of others to encourage mindful risk taking, innovation and proactivity, while being fiscally responsible.
An ‘Ambassador’ for NCC
The CEO will be the public face of NCC and serve as its ‘ambassador’ to the media, policymakers, funders and other stakeholders. The CEO will be a charismatic, credible, high-energy executive and respected thought leader with dynamic communication skills. The successful candidate will have a genuine presence and ability to promote and convey NCC’s mission to a diverse range of constituents to generate support and inspire action. As the lead spokesperson and a chief fundraiser for NCC, the CEO will inspire trust and confidence from its funders, partners, and general public. The CEO will also excel at working in partnership with the Board and leadership teams to enhance existing partnerships and develop new strategies, building out NCC’s brand equity and reputation in the field of land conservation.
A Leader with Business Acumen
The CEO will be a proven leader and strong manager who understands the importance of effective operational and financial administration. This leader is a facilitator of staff and Board teamwork and provides clear expectations and accountability measures for deliverables. The CEO will ensure that each of NCC’s programs and strategic partnerships are operating as universally aligned with the organization’s mission and vision. They will be skilled at working with the Board and staff to achieve NCC’s goals and focus on the strategic levers to drive the organization in the right areas. The CEO will have the ability to make decisions swiftly and set priorities, delegate responsibilities, assure accountability and allocate resources to ensure results. A tactical leader, they will have a strong business orientation, an ability to use metrics to drive decisions and the prudence needed to communicate NCC’s impact and success with rigor.
Leading with Influence and Relationship Builder
The CEO will have the ability to inspire the staff, Board and other champions of NCC to achieve new heights for the organization. The CEO will have an inspirational approach to building collaboration and buy-in and generating support from stakeholders. The CEO will be a charismatic leader who can establish rapport and open communication with all constituents. The CEO will strengthen and retain an empowered team that will implement the course of action for achieving the vision. An engaging and supportive leader, the CEO will have a track record of motivating and inspiring others to achieve impact through creativity, teamwork and by leveraging individual strengths to meet organizational goals.
A Passion for the Mission
Fully embracing the mission of NCC, the CEO will have a personal commitment to improving the environment through science-based conservation. They will bring a love of the outdoors, a respect for nature, and an understanding of the impact of NCC in ensuring a legacy for future generations through its work.
- Aligned with NCC’s desired cultural attributes: a passion for nature, belief in a science-based approach to conservation, employee-engagement oriented, a strong collaborator, principled towards diversity and inclusion.
- A strategic and visionary thinker with proven leadership experience, who sees the big picture and motivates staff, Board, donors, allies, and key constituents toward a common vision. Entrepreneurial by nature.
- An excellent relationship-builder with governments, political parties, Board(s) of directors, volunteers, industry and private sector, major donors, Indigenous leaders/communities, landowners, foundations, other NGOs, etc.
- A proven track record leading a complex, decentralized organization, with experience in creating and delivering a strategic plan. Brings a deep understanding and appreciation for the diverse regions of Canada.
- Proven ability to develop and meet financial goals, targets, and budgets.
- A strong affinity for fundraising; a personal commitment to uphold a world-class fundraising culture at NCC. Charismatic and convincing in maximizing government, industry, and donor support.
- Strong communicator with all audiences, ranging from local volunteers and staff to senior government officials. Able to connect and influence a variety of stakeholders across the globe. As comfortable on the world stage as in everyday engagement with staff.
- A team-builder and decision-maker who has experience identifying, attracting, retaining, and holding accountable top talent and empowering these individuals to act in the organization’s best interests.
- Strong management experience; able to effectively lead hundreds of diverse staff across multiple locations, with the ability to coalesce people with diverse views and priorities around common goals.
- Able to foster trust, establish relationships and build a sense of a shared purpose and commitment with the Board, staff, allies, and key influencers.
- Knowledge and understanding of brand strategy and marketing, including digital media.
- A willingness to travel and meeting with staff and stakeholders as needed.
- Functional proficiency in both official languages is desirable.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field, or experiential equivalent.
- Brings a global perspective and a deep commitment to collaboration in working with all stakeholders to explore options and chart the path of NCC.
- Politically astute; able to work successfully with all political parties.
- Self-aware and self-confident but humble.
- The confidence to invite dialogue, listen carefully, make decisions and to share credit.
- Thoughtful, inspiring and authentic; a people person.
- Warm, engaging, with a high EQ; genuinely interested in the lives of team members.
- Articulate, curious, and knowledgeable.
- Brings a reputation for professionalism and integrity.
A competitive compensation package including base salary and benefits will be provided.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application by end of day April 15th, 2020, by emailing your cover letter and résumé to: NCC@searchlightpartnersgroup.com
NCC is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to fair and accessible employment practices. We strongly support and value diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank applicants for their interest, however; only those advancing in the process will be contacted.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.