The Township of Algonquin Highlands Parks, Recreation and Trails Department, in partnership with the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry is hosting the Stewardship Youth Ranger Program and seeking a Youth Ranger Team Lead for the 2021 season. This position will lead a team that assists with the maintenance of the Haliburton Highlands Water Trails, Algonquin Highlands Hiking Trails and Frost Centre Ski and Snowshoe Trails.
The Stewardship Youth Ranger Program provides youth with the opportunity to work outdoors, learn about environmental issues affecting the community and acquire the valuable skills and work experience needed to launch their future careers.
Position: (1) Stewardship Youth Ranger Team Lead
Term: Approximately June 7 to August 30, 2021
Wage: $25.14 hourly
Hours: 40 hours per week, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. Primarily Monday – Friday with some weekends and work on holidays as scheduled.
Location of Work: Work will commence daily at 1095 North Shore Road, Algonquin Highlands
Reports to: Trails Coordinator
Note: No staff housing is available for this position.
- Implement Stewardship Youth Ranger program directives including assisting in the development and implementation of work plans and training programs;
- Prepare and submit program related reports;
- Lead, motivate and supervise a team of four Youth Rangers in the field aged 16-18 ensuring safe work practices and adherence to the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Lead a team in remote backcountry areas in conducting hiking trail, campsite, portage and related equipment maintenance and inspections on a daily basis for the Frost Centre and Poker Lakes Canoe Routes, Algonquin Highlands Hiking Trails and the Frost Centre Ski and Snowshoe Trails;
- Operate ½ ton 4×4 pickup truck, motorized boats, canoes as well as various hand tools and power tools such as drills, hammers, screw drivers, socket sets, hand saws, pruners, weed whips, etc.;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience supervising and/or leading groups in a backcountry/wilderness setting;
- Good physical fitness and endurance with ability to portage a canoe and pack or hike on-trail for up to 6km with a pack and tools sometimes for several days in a row in all weather conditions and high biting insect populations;
- Excellent leadership skills with a positive, upbeat, outgoing personality;
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid, ORCKA trip leader, Bronze-Cross Swimming, Wilderness Survival Certifications are assets, or ability to obtain;
- Must be very comfortable on and around the water in various types of canoes and motor boats and adverse weather conditions;
- Work with minimal direction/supervision – must be a highly motivated self-starter with strong organizational skills;
- Chainsaw operators certification & experience an asset;
- Backcountry navigation with map/compass/GPS, canoeing, hiking, and other outdoor experience;
- Pleasure craft operator card and experience with operating a motor boat;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs and other computer software;
- Understanding of the duties of a supervisor under the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Must possess a valid class ‘G” driver’s license for the Province of Ontario.
The Township of Algonquin Highlands is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process, upon the request of the applicant. Please advise in advance if you require accommodation.
In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will be used only for candidate selection.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by 3:00 pm on Friday, March 12, 2021 to:
Dawn Mugford-Guay, Human Resources Coordinator
Township of Algonquin Highlands
1123 North Shore Road, Algonquin Highlands, Ontario, K0M 1J1
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.