Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority – Job Posting – External
Regulations Officer – 12 Month Contract, Full Time
Why work for us?
SVCA’s administrative office is situated in the heart of the Saugeen Valley watershed. We offer competitive public sector pay and comprehensive benefits. With our small, but passionate team, you will know your co-workers by name, will make fast friends, and will have direct access to the considerable knowledge of these individuals.
Summary of Functions
Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority’s Planning and Regulations Department is responsible for ensuring that proposed development and site alterations are carried out in conformance with the Authority’s policies and procedures. In particular, the Regulations team is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act for the Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority (Ontario Regulation 169/06 – the Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Regulation). Reporting to the Regulations Coordinator and Manager, Environmental Planning and Regulations, the Regulations Officer will be responsible for the review of matters related to, and enforcement of, Ontario Regulation (O. Reg.) 169/06 in the SVCA watershed within the greater context of SVCA’s Regulation Department.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Graduation from a recognized College or University in planning, geography, environmental sciences, environmental remediation, resources technology, or other related discipline.
• At least two years’ experience associated with main duties and responsibilities considered an asset.
• Knowledge and experience with the Conservation Authorities Act and Section 28 Regulations, would be considered an asset.
• Demonstrated experience with court proceeding and processes, legal procedures and supporting documents, enforcement practices and protocols related to investigations.
• Working knowledge of environmental legislation, permit approval processes, and some technical guidelines (i.e., coastal, and water-related engineering).
• Excellent knowledge of current water and environmental management principles and practices including relevant federal and provincial legislation.
• Current designation as a Provincial Offences Officer or eligibility for designation or willing to take.
• Regulations specific training (i.e., Conservation Authority Compliance Level 1 and 2 an asset).
• Ability to work with GIS software products is an asset.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in English with diverse stakeholder groups at a political and staff level.
• Ability to work well in a team setting with other staff.
• Ability to maintain good public relations with the public.
• Initiative and good interpersonal skills.
• Proficiency with standard office software including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, database software, and use of digital mapping software.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Ontario “G” driver’s license.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Regulations Application Review:
• Review, evaluate, and issue permissions under O. Reg. 169/06, while meeting internal deadlines and standards.
• Respond to, in a timely manner, public complaints and inquiries regarding regulatory requirements and application permission processes.
• Provide technical review and processing of inquiries.
• Gather background information and research for regulation applications and coordinate pre- consultation with proponents to ensure complete applications.
• Perform site visits and inspections as required.
• Communicate initiatives and report to the SVCA Board of Directors, various committees, municipalities, interest groups, and the public.
• Prepare documents and materials as required to ensure that the interests of the SVCA are appropriately represented at public meetings, committees, and hearings. Attend meetings as required.
• Assist with liaison and correspondence with municipalities, agencies, consultants, and public to ensure effective communication, information sharing and excellent customer service concerning lands subject to O. Reg. 169/06.
• Encourage communication and outreach activities that generate an understanding of the Conservation Authority Regulations and build support within the local communities for the health and enhancement of our watershed’s natural resources.
Regulations Enforcement and Compliance:
• Undertake investigating complaints and violations of O. Reg. 169/06 and negotiate resolutions where appropriate.
• Liaise with Conservation Authority solicitors, staff, and the Board in support of charges; serve summons and subpoenas and appear in court to represent the SVCA.
• Attend as the representative of the Authority appeals before the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, Mining and Lands Commissioner, or cases before the Provincial Courts.
• Act as a designated Enforcement Officer per Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act, carrying out investigations, preparing case files and participating in court proceedings. Issue violation notices, develop compliance agreements, swear to information, and issue summons and/or execute search warrants depending on the nature of the offence.
• Conduct regulatory compliance monitoring and enforcement activities, including coordinating activities with municipalities and agencies, conducting permit inspections and site investigations, issuing offence notices, preparing compliance agreements, and executing prosecutions.
• Inspect permit works in progress or completed to ensure compliance with plans, specifications, and conditions identified in permits. Document any deficiencies, variances, and take appropriate action.
• Most work takes place in an office; however, some outdoor site inspections will be required which includes some physical effort (e.g., navigating uneven terrain).
• Frequent multitasking to meet deadlines from multiple sources.
• Occasional receipt of verbal pressure from external clients.
• Travel is normally within the Saugeen watershed, however additional meetings outside of the watershed may be required.
Position is based at the SVCA’s Administrative office at 1078 Bruce Road 12, Formosa.
Wage and Benefits:
• Salary: $61,889 to $73,328
• Hours: 37.5 hours per week
• Benefits:OMERS pension, Comprehensive benefit package
Closing date for applications:
August 19, 2022
Please submit your cover letter and resume outlining how your experience meets the necessary qualifications to:
Janice Hagan, Executive Assistant
Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority
1078 Bruce Road 12, P.O. Box 150, Formosa, ON N0G 1W0
Email is the preferred submission method. Submit your cover letter and resume as one .pdf document. Document file name and email subject line should be your name followed by _REGOFCON2022 (Example: Janice.Hagan_REGOFCON2022.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Late applications will not be considered.
SVCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), SVCA will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform SVCA Administrative Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org). All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.